Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is that possible to save crystal report as a static report

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWANG

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
US
Hi,

1. Is that possible to save crystal report as a static report? Static report means: the report saved all the data it got from the database when it's previewed, but doesn't connect to the database anymore so it can't be "refresh"ed later.

2. If I compile the report into a .exe file (I know Crystal Reports 8.x doesn't have that funciton, but I can download a utility from Seagates Website to do it) and later execute it, will the report be "refresh"ed automatically?

I'm using Crystal Reports Version 8.5 Professional Edition.

Please help.

Bin Wang

Bwang -

1) you can export and save the output of any report to a number of different formats, pdf, word, etc., and it will not refresh, it becomes a document.

2) A compiled report will execute and refresh every time it is run.

Email me or post on this forum if you have any questions on how to do either of these. Software Support for Sage Mas90, Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
Cell/VM: 714-348-0964

You can save a report with data and compile it. This will not refresh automatically, but will allow the user to click the refresh button. Of course the refresh button will only work if they have the same connection and access that you used to design the report. If you use a unique DSN, they will only be able to view the saved data, and won't be able to refresh the report. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

So it's impossible to save crystal report as a static .rpt file which can't be refreshed?

Each week I need to create a report which should be the snapshot of one certain table (data in the table will change). I want to archive these "static" crystal reports which contain different snapshot data, and later my client can export these reports to what ever format they want.

Can Crystal Reports do this? Yes, or NO?

Thanks.

Dear Ken,

"If you use a unique DSN, they will only be able to view the saved data, and won't be able to refresh the report."

what does this mean? use a unique DSN?

You don't want them to refresh the report.
You compile it and give it to them.
If they have the same DSN that you do to connect to the data, then they could refresh it. But, if you create the report using a differnt DSN, one that they don't have, they will not be able to refresh the compiled report. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

If you've installed Crystal Enterprise (included with Cr8.5), that includes a free report viewer that doesn't refresh the report data. it's just for viewing static reports - it's one of the downloads from your Enterprise server. Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back