Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IS Netbackup good for multi platform unix environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohsenm

MIS
Jan 2, 2003
US
Hello Everyone:

I was thinking about using net backup to perform our unix backup which would be a mix of aix & solaris total 0f 3 Aix machines & 4 solaris machines. I currently use a script which is very time consuming when it comes to restoration since I have to fastforward the tape manually and search for the files that need to be restored. Is netbackup anygood? Is it so easy that even a monkey can run it with out any problems, how is the restore and the rest of the jaz that comes with a daily backup. I have asked for a demo software to install and test anyway but any input would be appreciated.

thanks

moehsenm

Hello there

I would recommend that you give Netbackup a try - I have been using it now for over 1 year on solaris systems and find it pretty easy to use, and if I can use it then the monkey can too. It takes a bit of setting up but once you have all your pools defined and tapes assigned - it becomes quite straightforward and restores in particular are a piece of cake.

Bainy

I have been using NB for almost 2 years now in a very mixed environment (NT/2000 Solaris Netware and AIX). We use a Solaris server as our Master and are very pleased with how automated the system can be. It does take some effort at first, but in time, everytrhing will be easy.

Our environment 244+ servers.

[thumbsup]

I would also tell that NBU Datacenter is great.
What data do you have and any special restore needs, and do you already have the storage hardware you want to use?

/johnny

Just to agree on the above...

I've experience of netbackup with a variety of unix. Mainly solaris and aix, currently. And have had no real problems over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back