Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is my optical mouse bring holes in my desk ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4mule

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
AU
Hi,

I have an optical mouse (one of the microsoft flavors) and it appears to be buring small holes in my (cheeply laminated) desk ??? I didnt think it would be possible until I saw it my self ... and my work colegues dont belive me at all ... I can not find any articles relating to this ... can anyone give me a url or something of where I can find any info (to prove it to my work mates mainly).

Thanks,

Nick

Dang....

I just noticed the 'bring' that should read 'burning' in the subject... I guess thats gonna make the question seem even lamer :(

Sounds like you need to "cash in" on some of your vacation
time.

April the 1st was three months ago M8 :>)
If this were really the case then optical mice would be a fire risk!!!! just imagine if you left the mouse on a newspaper etc
Made me smile anyway. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I suppose the red LED could be discoloring the cheap desk, very unlikely though. Same as the sun discolors just about everything. So here's the simple and CHEAP solution, use the mouse on top of a mousepad.. that's it, very simple

The microsoft optical mouse I have (probably same as yours), scratched up the paint on a desk I used to use. Unfortunately it does seem to need a mousepad just because it will scratch stuff up.

If all else fails, get yourself a good piece of stainless steel to use for a mouse pad, it will not burn.

I have an optical wheel mouse and it does not bother the old formica laminated table I have my computer on. I have never noticed it getting hot or anything. I have never felt the mouse feel hot or odd in any manner. It might be possible that when you move it back and forth you could ware down a wood varnish or wood surface from the movement of the mouse accross the surface. It might be possible the light could affect a polish or wax maybe.

I saw an article the other day where some gamers were putting some kind of special Teflon Tape on the bottom of the mouse to make it slide accross the surface with less friction than just the plastic. A simple place mat or some kind of protective surface might help. I could also see how a keyboard or a monitor could damage a wooden desk if you just set them on top of the desk. Maybe a protective layer of accrylic similar to replacement glass might suffice. Lowes hardware sells some clear sheets of Lucite that might make a nice surface to move the mouse back and forth accross. Some other materials like a soft rubbery or just a piece of wood grained formica might work better. They sell this kind type of stuff to surface wood cabinets or as a kind of wall covering at some hardware stores.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back