Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is my memory runnig slow?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidman

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
US
Hi,
I have a question: I have an a7n8x dlx, and 512 mb (2x256mb cl 2.5) memory. PC Mark 2002 gave me about 4500 memory points, while other people (but with cl2) were able to crank 5300+ on the same chipset. I am really confused: is there a BIOS setting i might be missing, or what. I know for sure, that cl 2.5 is not going to cause this much difference! Any help would be appreciated.

Well, if they're running Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM @ CAS 2.0 they'd see a significant improvement over generic PC2100 RAM @ CAS 2.5 (you don't say what make or type your RAM is).

There are so many other variables in the BIOS that experienced and adventurous tweakers can set, that this is likely to be a combination of many things. Most will simply crank up the FSB, and many will unlock the CPU, use powerful cooling aids and tweak the core voltage. I wouldn't recommend that just for a higher PC Mark Score, however.

There's a good (but aging) article on BIOS tweaks, specifically aimed at optimising RAM on
Hope this helps

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

The RAM is Samsung 2700 7-3-3-2.5 Everything runs at 166mHz. Im also surprised, that Tomshardware got 5800 (!!) marks, while ExtremeTech got 4900 (same ram). I tend to believe ExtremeTech, because theres no way, that Corsair (running at 166) XMS could be FASTER than Rambus 1066!!! Probably a mistake by Tom.

It depends on other variables. While RamBus RAM has a higher clock speed overall, that implies greater latency in terms of wait states between components.

On different boards with different components, this can yield varying results. Corsair XMS RAM is a bit special in that it lends itself well to overclocking. A faster/overclocked FSB will effectively speed up your PC - at the risk of frying components!

It's definitely worth comparing benchmarks between sites as no two sets ever match exactly - even on the same boards, since just a couple of electronic components can make all the difference.

Look at hardocp.com and aceshardware.com for more reliable examples.

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

The sites that test motherboards often get their motherboards for free. This means they are hand-picked by the manufacturer. This is not always a good representation of what the consumer will get. When you look at the site you should see what kind of RAM they used also and what the setup for the motherboard was. For RAM also look at the total bandwidth. It might be that using a different version of the BIOS can affect the RAM speed.

Asus came out with a newer version of the A7N8X. I do not know what the difference is.

Make sure the memory is in the proper slots for the faster speed!

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back