Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is my DNS Records Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomarian

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
Hello all,

Here is my situation. I have just setup a Exchange 2000 server for a small network. They are using a static IP from a local ISP. They are having their webpage and DNS records hosted by another ISP.

I called the IPS hosting their web page and asked them to put in a host record with the name of my Exchange Server and IP address. I had them put the name of the server: mail.mydomain.com and point that to my static IP. I then had them add an MX record with the name of the exchange server.

I tried to send email to the address as a test and it states that the email account does not exist in the organization. I know the users exist because I created them myself.

I can now ping the web page and it hits the ISP's IP address. I can also ping my Exchange Server and it gives me the correct IP address. I do have a firewall in place that forwards requests from port 25 to my internal Exchange Server. This has worked on other setups with no issue, but this is the first time I had to separate out the DNS entries. Does anyone know if I did this correctly? Did I miss a record in the DNS resource records? Thanks for all the help in advance.

Norman

Are you also hosting internal DNS? If not you should start.

do a nslookup
set q=mx
domain.com

Does this show the right ip for the firewall? Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Thanks for the info, Dan.

I figured it out. I had the SMTP properties listening on the wrong IP address. It took a little digging, but I fixed it. My DNS stuff was correct.

Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back