Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is MSAccess Developer The correct Package For This? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2003
GB
I have an existing company database. It is split to allow different users to have job specific interfaces. As expected more users than MSAccess packages would like to use the core data. Rather than paying for full packages for these individuals who do not need to create there own database utilities, I would like to purchase MSAccess Developer

As I understand it MSAccess Developer will allow me to create user front ends that do not require MSAcess to be installed.

1. Is this correct?
2. Will I be able to import into Developer existing front ends and save as developer front ends? This will save me having to re-write forms queries etc.
3. Will The new developer front ends happily co-habit on the same network as existing front end users, both will collectively access the same rear end data.
4.Any other precautions that I may need to take because of this co-existence would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Cliff

1. Yes. The Developer version of Office includes a runtime version of Access that you can freely distribute with your applications.
2. Yes. You develop your application as normal in Access, and it should work fine in the runtime version provided that you take care to work around its limitations which are documented in a few threads around TT.
3. Yes
4. The Access runtime version as previously mentioned doesn't support all the features of the full version. I'd strongly recommend testing your applications in it thoroughly and searching for information relating to its limitations (sorry, can't find any quickly at the moment).

John

4.Any other precautions that I may need to take because of this co-existence would be greatly appreciated."

Make sure you have all your error handling in place before you distribute in run-time.

Just my two bits.........

John, thanks for your help, will follow your suggestions, and using you keywords I will dig a bit deeper, again thanks!

ssatech, error handling? i suppose it crashes if this is not sorted? thanks for the advise will do some trials.

Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back