Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Microsoft burrying CIL/MSIL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

audaxviator

Programmer
Mar 19, 2018
GB
Windows 10S is probably going to be short-lived but right now it is frustrating my plans for world domination.

Windows 10S differs to Home/Pro because it imposes UWP on developers. You simply cannot run an old MSI on 10S, and newly built UWP applictions target native libraries instead of CIL/MSIL assemblies.

I read somewhere (lost the website) that UWP makes it possible to compile C# to native binary code - has anyone here verified this? Does it magically happen under certain conditions? Was it bad information?

My C# UWP builds continue to generate MSIL. The only change is that they now target the odd UWP binary instead of .NET assembly. Could my inability to build a C# binary stem from poking and marshalling (historic) Win32 native binaries via (last generation) .NET MSIL assemblies that have not been ported to UWP?

I wonder if this might be better asked in the Windows 10 forum?

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

I take your point that Windows 10 forum might provide thoughts about the immediate problem, although I feared they might regurgitate Microsoft's marketing (I already tried Google).

Industry Trends forum might provide alternative past/present/future insights into the MSIL/CIL strategy (which also compiles and executes on Windows 9x, Macintosh, etc.) - this of course would only be valid if Microsoft's product strategy is not a random walk ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back