Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is MacOS9 the same thing as PowerPC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelwenzel

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
I'm using a mac to test my website but I don't really know much about them. Netscape only list powerPC and MacOSX version of netscape 6.2 whilte I have MacOS9.1. Is MacOS9 the same thing as powerPC?

Well, it's not really the same thing, but this is the version of Netscape you'll need for OS 9.1.

680x0 was the CPUs Macs used til 1994 the highest MacOS they can use is 8.1

PowerPC is the CPU used since 1994, it can use MacOS 7.5 to 9.22 and OSX

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Although you need a G3 PowerPC or higher to run Mac OSX
But for your question, no.
Mac OS 9 is the Operating system. The Netscape installer has 2 install options. One for Macs that have a powerPC processor without MacOSX (PowerPC Option) and one for Macs running MacOSX(MacOSX Option).
-God Bless

Thank you all for your help. It is interesting to learn about macs since I know absolutely nothing about them. What do you use them for? Just graphics?

It's too bad Mac's don't have the software pcs do. I remember watching my old amiga go extinct because of lack of software (bad marketing too ) but I think macs are much better off :)

I have NO clue why you think macs have no software, they have been around since 1984 and all the software still works, (unlike PCs, which had DOS, 16 bit and 32 bit software, so it always broke old code) my oldest game is from April 2 1984

I use a mac for every thing one would ever want a computer for.

From my persective as a developer, the Amiga died because the users never paid for any software, so no one ever wrote two Amiga titles. We got burned and abandonded them.
I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

maybe....but I'm pretty sure most games/microsoft packages come out for pc's first. I don't play games though so I guess that's not really a big deal for me. I agree that it would be a huge advantage to have software that actually works (unlike pcs were it only sometimes works) :) Maybe I'll consider a mac for my next system.

I think the amiga died because it was somewhat marketed as a gaming system rather than a tool. I paid for some amiga software....do you mean that users just would pirate software?

I must confess I have not bought/used any Microsoft products since 1979 , SO I am not sure but I believe both word and excel were brought out on Mac first.

(Microsoft = viruses, the number of viruses that can attack ANY given computer is directly related to the amount of MS code on that computer) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I have seen word on computers as early as OS/2 without the GUI.
I dont use most MS products b/c I cant pay for them. -God Bless

really? That's pretty cool. I guess I'm pretty nieve when it comes to macs :)

I run Word6 on a PowerMac 7300 at home and Word 2000 on Win98 at work.
I find Word runs better on the Mac. All I did was press the damn button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back