Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IS limit 16GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyxbur

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2004
IT
I got the error of 16GB limit of the database.
What can I do now ?
Please help me.

The Std edition of exchange has a store limit of 16Gb.

You have many options here...

Delete and purge many emails

Install a new server

Upgrade existing server to an enterprise platform. Unlimited information store limits

Ta

AJ

===

Fatman Superstar (Andrew James)

CCNA,
(CCNA Cisco Academy Instructor Trained)

Ask your users to delete old mail (or move it to PST files - although PSTs have their own issues). This should create you some headroom for new mail. The size of priv.edb won't get any smaller, but there will be some 'white space' that will be used for new mail. Check how much by looking for the 1221 event that the database maintenance writes each night.

I would build a new server, join the site and move mailboxes out. You need a long term solution,

Mike

tanks

All good advice, but before going crazy with at new server you should run eseutil.

Have your users preform some clean up. Run Eseutil to reduce the size of the priv.edb and pub.edb. You must have 16gb free on the HD to run this util and it will take a few hours, but you should drop well below 16gb.

That will buy you some time to get a new machince, impose policy, whatever.

You have 3 options:-
1. Reinstall exchange using enterprise and move mailboxes accross.
2. If thats not the 1st server in site, take offline back of PRIV/PUB. Then install new srever, restore the backed-up databases into this server and patch it.
3. The correct method - reinstall exchange from the correct cd onto of this and it resolves the issue. (I have tested this and works)

I've dealt with this with several of my customers. I just submitted a FAQ on this, so check back to see if it's been added to the MS Exchange FAQs.

I've seen 16GB databases regain up to 7 or 8 GB of space on databases that haven't been defragmented before. If you don't gain more than 1 - 2 GB, then the only other option you have is to upgrade to Enterprise edition of Exchange... at that point, go to Ex2003... it's awesome.

I would prefer run eseutil and then if you do not gain more space upgrade to enterprise edition than build a new server

hi been following this post- what/where is eseutil, also the 16gb you need spare to run the utility, does that need to be on the same hard drive as the server is running or can it be another hard drive in the machine?

Thanks
BeNc

Well, I managed to resolve my 16GB limitation. Its pretty simple infact..... just reinstall Exchange Enterprise over the top and it will preserve your priv, pub, log file etc. I have done this on our production servers and havent had any issues since.

with regards to the last post... eseutil is in the exchsrvr\bin folder and its a useful repair tool - beware !!! dont use it if you dont know what you are doing, it will screw up your database if used incorrectly.

If you have free space on your server, the you can run it on teh same server, if not you could run it from the server and using the /t switch point it to the server with more space or copy the priv or pub to a different server along with this file (eseutil.exe) and defrag it there and copy it back to original place, replacing old priv or pub files.

Bchizary, you can do it on the same hard drive or another hard drive on this computer. Juste make sure you have enough free space to do it.

You need the same free same as your DataBase is !!

If you want to run the defragment but need to point to another drive on the same machine you can use the /t switch. It looks weird, but you need to ram together the /t switch and the drive letter.

format is:
eseutil /d /[database] /t[drive and path]

so for example you can do:
eseutil /d /ispriv /td:\temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back