Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Java the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudel

Programmer
Dec 3, 2002
NO
Hi

I’m going to develop a game. The game is a multiplayer card game that shall be played on the Internet. The application needs to work whit a database and handle a bit of graphics. I have no experience in java, but I’m pretty good in C++ and Delphi.

1) Is Java the way to go?
2) Does Java work well whit databases?

Any suggestions, tips or ideas are appreciated!

-Kudel

>> I have no experience in java, but I’m pretty good in C++ and Delphi.
>> 1) Is Java the way to go?

Umm then why are you considering Java? I think i need more context to understand what you are asking.

>> 2) Does Java work well whit databases?

Yes it does.

-pete

Hi

I’m just picturing that a java applet is the way to go. I can’t rely say way, but I just do. That is mainly way I’m asking.
Let me ask this way instead: If you where to develop a multi player card game that uses a database and shall be played trough the Internet, what would you chose to make it in?

-Kudel

If you are a C++ programmer, then the choice should maybe be an ActiveX control ?

Applets, while they may have their place, are (in my humble opinion) a right pain in the rear. If you want to do anything half decent with them you need to sign a jar file, the user may need to set up local priviledges, and some companies don't even allow applets to be downloaded from sites. Then there is the java plugin version the user has ... etc etc.

Why are you developing a multi player card game anyhow ? School project ?

I’m developing this mainly for practise, but I also want to build an Internet service that people use. It’s much more fun to practise other things when you already have a group of active users.

I’ve never used AciveX is it difficult?

-Kudel

>>>> I’m developing this mainly for practise, but I also want to build an Internet service that people use. It’s much more fun to practise other things when you already have a group of active users.

If you're just in it for the learning, then you'd probably be better off looking at web services (you can add this to your CV !!!) rather than applets ...

>>> I’ve never used AciveX is it difficult?
I've never got to grips with C++ - but if you know it, then I reckon you'd be able to get to grips with ActiveX no worries - I belive its simplified using Visual Studio ...

If you're just in it for the learning, then you'd probably be better off looking at web services (you can add this to your CV !!!) rather than applets ...

Ok either i am confused or you guys are [lol]. Applets are not in competition with Web Servicese. I mean you are not going to replace one with another and therefore they should not be competing choices in a project.

A browser based (web) application is a form of client/server application. In this realm you have (A) thin client or (B) thick client. In either case the bulk of the project is server side development and there is a distinct difference in client side development between A and B.

As you describe the project, I could see it being done with pure HTML on the client which means that most of the development would be server side. This would eliminate any client development in terms of Applets or ActiveX controls.

-pete

>>>> Ok either i am confused or you guys are . Applets are not in competition with Web Servicese.

I realise that ... but the guy sounds like he wants to do something 'webby' as a learning exercise, and all I was saying is that gaining experience of web services is probably of more use that applets, given the views many companies have towards applets, and the kinds of skills the job market (in the UK) requires (I've never seen a job saying 'required - applet programmer') !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back