Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Java 2 the language to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajhull

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2001
CA
I apologize in advance for asking a non-technical question in this forum but I am not sure where else to ask it.

I would like to become certified in a programming language and would like to make sure it is the language that is going to give me the biggest payback from my investment of time and money. Is Java 2 the way to go? Or should I be doing VB Net instead?

Adrian
Certified DBA/Developer

It completely depends on what type of job you want, where you want to work, what kind of jobs available in your area etc etc.

I would look at the salaries for each langauge in your area.

One thing I would say is that VB.NET is certainly not a langauage I would spend time learning. I think your choice should be more C# vs Java.

That said, most jobs these days don;t just want one langauge, but several, so basically whichever you want !

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

I'm from an integration background and Java underpins many of the integration tools in that area. Learning Object Oriented Programming anyway is useful and makes it easier to transfer to C# or Java depending on which you learn. I'd say java because its more portable. Does C# just sit on a windows platform, not sure on that one.

does the C# also have the massive open-source support and libraries that are now quite easy to find with java?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back