Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it worthwhile learning PeopleSoft? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firthr

Programmer
Oct 27, 2000
GB
I realise this is a very general, perhaps subjective question, but I need some advice as my company want me to learn peoplesoft and commit to remaining with them because of this expense. I'd like to know if it is a good decision first or should I try and concentrate on further developing my VB?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,
Peoplesoft has got a good market but it doesnt mean that you will have a bright future.
You need to decide your future. Depending on your background,interest and experience factors you can judge well than someboy else.

It is worth than any other ERP now a days. I have been working for past couple of years in PS and I did see so many up and downs but that's common in IT as companies move to the latest technologies but now a days PS is O.K. It's getting better year by year. That's the good thing about it.

PSDBA

Hi firthr,

I started VB coding on version 3 and worked my way up through version 5. I really like writing VB code and overall I like the way the Microsoft product line works. After version 5 (while working towards certifying in version 6) I found myself becoming more and more frustrated in attempting to keep up with becoming proficient in the new releases during that 18 month window between Microsoft releases. With version 7 on the horizon and a promise for a completely new way of writing programs I find myself feeling apathetic. I have seen many of my associates that have been coding VB since the early days feeling the same way.

About 3 years ago, I started working with PeopleSoft (then version 6). I really hated that fact that I was looking at COBOL programs again. It was a cool system for bringing up applications quickly, though. Since then as we have wondered through upgrades to version 7 and version 7.5, I have always been convinced that VB was the better tool. I am starting to have a change of mind after this year's convention, though. Version 8 is a pure Internet application which basically makes it a direct contender with Microsoft's .net strategy. I think that a lot of companies are going to see Version 8 as an attractive alternative to VB apps for the following reasons:
1) The tool is platform independent. Whether you are running PeopleSoft on MVS, Unix, Linux, or NT, it is simply delivering HTML to the client for processing. VB is only running on Microsoft platforms.
2) The same basic techniques for designing menus, panels, tables, and fields has not changed through all of the PeopleSoft versions that I have worked on. There is less investment in retraining every 18 months where as with Microsoft, you are pretty much forced to not only learn new techniques/technologies, but in some cases re-tool (Remember how the accepted db techniques moved from bound controls, to dao, to rdo, to ado, to ole DB).
3) The time to market for web sites designed in PeopleTools is going to be much quicker than with Microsoft related tools. PeopleTools is going to handle a lot of the rudimentary server side problems that you would have to configure yourself in VB. Of course, let me point out the negative point to PeopleTools is that it is much less flexible than VB will allow you to be.
4) Let's not forget the pending law suit and the types of problems that it might cause for Microsoft.

The upper management in my company was impressed with the speed at which applications were developed in earlier verions of PeopleSoft. I think they are going to go hog-wild with version 8. I honestly believe that my organization is going to buy additional PeopleSoft modules to interface with our payroll system, and (in time) will attempt to use PeopleTools to generate web sites in place of using VB.

My final answer to you is that it probably won't hurt to go ahead and give the PeopleSoft a shot. PeopleSoft consultants are still making pretty good money and are in short supply. I think the demand in this market will grow. Don't forget that only entities that have purchased PeopleSoft products can send individuals to training. Universities all over the world are dumping out VB trained programmers every day. You can still dabble in your VB programming. We use programs written in a variety of languages to assist us in managing our PeopleSoft application. There is one other new feature to PeopleSoft version 8 that I forgot to mention. This version allows access to and from interfacing systems in a variety of ways. One method is to use XML to transfer data, and the other method is to expose objects to outside systems using an object oriented language such as JAVA, C++, or VB (COM Objects). You could tell the boss that you want to code the PeopleSoft interfaces thus allowing you to code in VB and still learn PeopleSoft.

Hope this helps.

I think the Peoplesoft technology is and will continue to be in high demabd. For example the organization I work for in Minnesota is currently looking for 2 Peoplesoft professionals, and we ware willing to pay top $$$, plus sign on bonuse, and full relocation for those that would be interested. So I would say learn, and take the opportunity to add this technology to your skills tool box. It will make you more marketable as you advance your career.

Dear,
I'm a new PeopleSoft guy. I'm experiencing the PO build problem.
When I tried to create PO by using PO Build. I found a problem that my PR were stuck in 'P' stage (PO Build in Process). They weren't processed to 'C' stage (Complete).I don't know why...
Does anyone know how to solve it?
Any recommend or advices are welcome.

Regards,

Im out of a job. Im a MIS guy (with a MIS degree and a Finance Degree) with a degree from a good college- i know C++ ..VB..Coldfusion..NT Administration..Oracle..(and a lot more) i also know english -spanish and japanese..willing to travel 100% and willing to relocate anywhere. Ive been out of a job for about 6 months. I have been learning peoplesoft on my own time just because i cant find a job doing anything that i already know.... The job market is BAD .. learn all you can.. specially if someone else is willing to pay for your training..

renet123,

How do you teach yourself Peoplesoft? I've been trying to do the same. All I have just the training books. How can you get your hands on application itselft so you can practice on?

Konlao

Renet123,

I too want to know how your getting training in PeopleSoft on your own. I too only have training books and some books from Borders(very limited, especially in 8.x)
Having said that I realize that its possible that you might have a standalone copy of Peoplesoft 7.x. If so, then I suggest that you just learn the tables, structures and PeopleTools, nothing else is really going to help you in 8.x.

I agree. 7.5 tables and Peopletools will only help you in 8.x

Kon & Fd, A stand alone version can be a little difficult to get your hands on unless you know a company running PS and willing to give you a copy with the databases.

I used to work for Peoplesoft as a Tech Instructor, and the standalone version we had was very limited for the aspects of the software

Lead, Follow of get the %&*#%$ out of the way !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back