Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it worth going to Acad 2004 from Acad 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
What are your thoughts???

DougP, MCP

Given AutoCADs release history, 2004 will not be great.
r12 was good, r13 was crap
r14 was good, r2000 & i was crap
2002 is good, 2004 is ????

I'm more inclined to wait for the next release. Not to mention that if we upgrade here, we need all new computers. 2004 needs pIII 850mHz. Why?

Just my thoughts.

Kevin Petursson

Dogs come when they're called.
Cats come when they're interested!

Autodesk are "retiring" 2000.

If you want to upgrade after 15 January 2004, you have to buy a new copy.

So is it "worth" upgrading ?

It may be worth £2500 (in the UK)

Nick

But thoes using 2002 are still OK
and do not "have" to upgrade (YET!)

Kevin Petursson

I made that exact switch (2000 to 2004). It's a big switch! similar to the jump from R14 to 2000 I'd say. I think part of the reason for the PIII requirement is that 2004 is much slower in some repects. Sure the files are compressed by nature (that's why the file sizes are so much smaller - they included their own compression utility built right into the save). All-in-all though, I'd say base you decision on money. If you have the money to spend and like the idea of being "on the leading edge of releases" go for it! If your budget is small, I'm not sure the upgrade would be for you.
I agree with nichall though. You might want to upgrade just to keep current.
But, I have to disagree with kpeterssun. In your first post you skipped 2000 in your list. I think 2000 (NOT 2000i) was a good release. I have not even seen 2002 so I could not comment on that one.

My verdict (in short): I like 2004. Nice Features. Just a little slow (but, hardly really for what I do).

What's the best way to get the answers you need?? See FAQ222-2244 for details!

Does 2004 come with all the fancy bonus tools?
in 2002 you could spend more money to get more tools (in my mind a cash grab by autodesk).
One tool specifically is the ability to transfer the location of the viewport from paper space to model space.
A very useful function.
I didn't want to spend the $150USD of all to bonus tools so I spent sometime and worked out the code to do it. (see post
thread687-604054

Kevin Petursson

Bonus tools are included. They're in the "Express" menu. Also - and I'm not sure if this is available in 2002 - is the "associative dimensioning." This allows you to draw in model space and dimension - to scale - in paper space. This is FANTASTIC! I used to draw details in modelspace and have to scale down all the text and dims so that when I enlarged 'em in paper space, they would show correctly. Not now. I now draw the detail in model space and add the text and dims around the detail in paper space!!! Real handy for what I do.

kpetursson,
can you tell me a little about moving viewports into model space?
sundemon

sundemon - Check out the post i mentioned above. The Lisp routine you'll find there only draws a polyline in model space at the extens of that viewport. The is no connection once its drawn. The polyline and the viewport are seperate and unrelate(as far as autocad is concerned) entities. If you would like I can email the file to you.

ssVBAdev - Do you not scale you geometry from model space in a viewport to a regular scale. We have multiple dimstyles setup for different scale factors. In AutoCAD r14 you could set the dimensions to scale the arrows and text to the viewport they apper in.

Kevin Petursson

Well, we use a third party application that sets up drawings to 1/8" scale. So, everything in model space in 1/8" scale, even the details. When I switch to model space, to keep things simple, I keep the model space at 1/8" scale also. Therefore, If I want a detail blown up to 1/4", 1/2" or whatever I simple need to zoom the viewport to 2xp, 4xp etc... I don't want to setup other dimension styles or text styles either. So, now, I just draw the details in model space, and add the text in model space. Again, works well for what I do.

What ever works for you.
We draw everything in model space at full scale. Then zoom in with the viewports.
We use standard mechanical drafting scales.
Our way works for us.

No one ever sadi autocad was ment to be used only one way. Thats why there is so much flexibility.

The express tools are not included with 2002. I believe that you could get them free for 2000, and r14, but they charge you for them with 2002. (a real pain)

Kevin Petursson

Kevin,
I am with you about drawing full scale in model space, but some 3rd party software force you to draw at a scale other then full. Also, Civil Engineers consider 1 unit to be 1". They would type in 1.5 if they wanted 1'-6". This is an industry standard. Mechanical Engineers and Architects consider 1.5 to be 1-1/2". I have noticed anytime I get a drawing from a civil engineer, I have to scale it up 12 times to use it with my architectural drawing.
Jonathan

Jonathan,
As long as everything is drawn 1:1 then it doesn't matter to me what the units are. We get some supplier drawing in metric.
It's when the main part of the drawing is 1:1, and the title block is scaled up so the drawing will print at 1:8, and then the details they draw show a scale of 1:4, so the detail has been drawn at 2 it's normal size, and you have to watch what scale things are at.

Kevin Petursson

Upgrading to new releases of AutoCAD these days really depends a lot on how you use the software. For example, the last three releases (2000,2002,2004) have seen great leaps forward in web publishing and file sharing functionality, which is great if you use ACAD as part of a large design team. However, these improvements count for very little if you are a self employed architect, say (such as yours truly), who uses AutoCAD to produce paper drawings and does not need to file share or utilise the web. Essentially, when it comes to actually producing an electronic drawing, AutoCAD has stood still since R14, and in the case of (rather pettily) removing the bonus toolbars from the latest releases, for a single user, it's actually an inferior product to what it was 5 years ago.

WILL SOME ONE HELP ME. MY MODELER DLLS WILL NOT LOAD. I JUST POSTED A TOPIC JUST NOW, SO HELP

It is rude to interupt an existing thread with a new topic becuase you feel that you needing help is more important than the topic at hand. Try a little edicate please. Everyone posting on this site needs help. You are not special.

Jonathan

Does anyone know what effect 'retiring'ACAD 2000 will have on users of the program,ie I understand you'll not be able to upgrade to a current release, aside of that what are the other issues: will 2000 still work normally? will you be able to export files from it into a current release? or import from a later release after saving as 2000? what are the implications?
Thanks in advance for your input.

As far as i know the 'retiring' of 2000 will be the same as when they 'retired' r14. Nothing will happen to you copy, and future releases will still be able to open your drawings.
So the only real issue I can see is they will not give you any tech support. But given the fact your posting to the website, you probably would go to autodesk for tech support before looking here.

Kevin Petursson

Back to Jondi's reply about AutoDesk removing bonus tools from newer releases. I'm an AutoDesk stock holder and I wish I owned enough shares to call the shots. I would make them show a little more loyalty to their users. I worked with George Head (Author of 1000 AutoCAD Tips and Tricks, AutoCAD Productivity Book, The AutoCAD 3D companion, Autolisp in Plain English and many other AutoCAD related books). He always said that "AutoDesk has the loyalty of an Alley Cat". He got out of writing the books, but that is the most correct statement I ever heard him say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back