Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it the hardware? - My machine keeps freezing!! Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderman81

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
US
Hello all,

I am not a technical guru, but this is driving me crazy. I have an HP 8750C 667mhz single processor machine.(256 meg RAM) EVERY single time i get on the internet, it locks up!! I have to shut it down hard. I can turn it back on, leave it on for hours, or even days and it runs fine, but when i get on the internet, it will lock up within 5 to 10 minutes and i have to shut it down hard again!? I had win98, then put winME, then finally formatted it and thought i would play with win2000. I am pretty convinced that it is not software now. Any ideas what would be causing this?? I just don't know what to do, try, or where to even begin looking to resolve this issue.

Thanks for any advice,

As you say, it nearly has to be hardware. First guess would be the modem, are you able to swap it for another one to try? All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

If that 256MB RAM is more than one stick, try running it with one stick of memory. If it doesn't lock up, keep trying with different stick (you may have 2 or 4) etc.

Indeed. It's worth throwing a virus scanner on there just to be sure (if you don't already have one).

As you have done a fresh install, did you try dialing up to the internet before you installed any of your ususal software?

Does it lock up immediately when you connect to the internet or after a period of time ?

1. I have actually bought a new modem (Two weeks ago)- same issue
2. I have only 1 stick of RAM - which i have already tried replacing - same issue
3. It usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes it will last a whoppin 20 - 30, but it always freezes up (only occasionally will it lock it right when i connect).....
I have NOT installed 1 single piece of software...just the plain ole' OS with nothing else....

Didn't think about the AV, but after a format, new install, a new modem, it happened even on my first connection....

Thanks for the posts!!!

Any other ideas?

have you tried a different slot for the modem? you might also
want to look at the bios settings and set everything to
factory defaults and set" plug and play OS" to yes. also
try resetting config. data. to yes.

Cooling fans - particularly on cpu. If you are on win2k now, does the event viewer show anything? Does it lock PC completely (ie, only option is to push the button)? I ask, because I've never seen this on win2k (apart from blue screen) - although frequently on 9x/ME.

- Serial Modem
- I have tried a different slot for the modem
- Event viewer shows nothing but a red error stating the last shutdown was not expected
- It locks the entire PC, no mouse, no clock, nothing....
- I have taken the case off the PC, and verified that all fans are blowing
- I have even taken my fan here at home and put it against the case to ensure enough air is circulating
- The drives and the proc are not hot when it locks up

Ramon23 - How do i verify all of those settings?
Grenage - Taking a look at that link now....

Thanks for the help guys....it keeps happening and i am thinking about taking up head-banging.....<-_->

Okies here is some more infor specifically regarding your particular PC:

common and known problem (except to tech support, dont know why) for Mercury MB's running 133Mhz bus P3's such as 533, 600, 667, etc... was most notorious on part# 5184-9628 rev C03(sticker located on first PCI slot)... typical fixes include bypassing the onboard video by using another PCI video card, or HP's fix was to use a newer revision of the motherboard(rev C06 or higher, part# 5185-1778)... its a fairly old problem, noticed way back in late 2000...

typical symptoms are lockup since day 1 and scrolling on graphical effects, such as scrolling...

So by the looks of it you have 3 choices in things to try.
Order I would do them in:

1) Try and get a bios upgrade since this is free.
2) If you dont mind a minor performance loss try knocking the Bus speed to 100 (or even 66) if it lets you.
3) Borrow someone elses GFC card to test it - throw it in and disable onboard GFX.

Wow....thanks Grenage; I'll give that stuff a shot. I'm thinking about just building a new one, but i will try that stuff first.

I found the Solution!

The 8750c is UNSTABLE when it uses the
667 mhz processor. It WILL lock up after as
little as 10 minutes of Internet (ebay) scrolling.

Replacing the video card will help but does NOT
cure the problem.

REPLACING the processor will make the PC solid
as a rock. Forcing the PC to a 100 Mhz FSB CURES
the instability.

I replace the processor with a 700 mhz processor
with a 100 Mhz FSB. Specifically:
700mhz/256/100/1.65v.

Alternately you can close pins FS3 on the motherboard
which will FORCE the FSB to 100mhz but will also slow
the PC to 500 mhz.

Please note that both the processor change or the FS3
closure solution do NOT require a new video card.

Neither of these solutions are for amateur but are
pretty easy for a computer pro.

I would like to emphasize that both of these solutions
are TESTED and do work.

I know have two prefectly stable 8750cs.

Good luck with yours.

blovv

help - i can't find a solution to the annoying way my system keeps freezing up temporarily. i can reboot and the problem goes away for a short time. I'm running windows Me, and this only happens at one location where i use a linksys wireless router (doesn't happen at other locations with a similar linksys wireless router). any ideas?

jayster007 - please start a new thread for a new problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back