Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it really usefull? - huge list of directories to submit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubu

Programmer
Mar 3, 2002
RO
Hi guys,

I just saw in another post, some links to huge lists of directories....couple of hundreds...for example:

Is the submition to all these directories really usefull?

I mean ... there is some real chance to get visitors from these directories ... users that browse the directories ... but is this submition really usefull for going upwards in google, or any other big s.e.?

Thanks.

Regards,
Dragos.

I think you have to balance the benefit of good incoming links with whether or not it's of benefit to your audience.

The "theory" goes that if a Search Engine sees that your site has lots of links coming to it from what it deems as good sources then your site must be a good one.
The danger is that many so called directories are a waste of time. In my opinion, many of these directories are nothing more than link farms by another name.

As always it's better to spend some time finding the really good ones and getting listed in them. A few good inbound links outweigh lots of poor ones. Sites or directories that actually relate to your site are much more useful than any other.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Toccoa Games - Day of Defeat gaming community
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
"I'm making time

This is what i read too in other articles and books. I saw these lists here and I was wondering if my theory was good or not.

If these link farms are not that usefull then which are the directories I should submit websites in? A list of the best and usefull directories.

Thanks.

Regards,
Dragos.

I agree with Foamcow

I've been through the list a few times and a lot in there have the "made for Adsense" look about them. Many of them will be soon abandoned I suspect, when the owner realises just how much hard work operating a good directory can be.
By all means submit to some of them, working on the "who links to you can't hurt theory". However don't expect too much.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I am a little bit confued about directory submition and so on ...

Not even a weeek ago ... I just released this website:
The website hasn't been submitted in any directory (I submitted the website only in google's directory but their reply will come in 2,3 weeks maybe more) ... I haven't done any special SEO optimisation ... just regular coding standards, positioning and so on ... so basic rules that I follow with any of my websites.

There are no keywords yet, no description as <meta> tags.

With all these ... in only 5 days ... is the 5-th and 6-th (yesterday 4-th and 5-th) result in google with "sniffex" as search key ...

With all the other websites I did I usually waited 1 month, maybe more for a google first page listing.

Maybe you can light me up :)

Regards,
Dragos.

So, coming back to my first question...which are the best (and usefull) directories to submit a website?

Regards,
Dragos.

For starters

DMoz (don't rely on getting this done quickly though)

Yahoo Directory - not free

There are a few threads here with lists of directories.
You could also try googling to find industry specific directories for your site.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Toccoa Games - Day of Defeat gaming community
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
"I'm making time

And not for starters? :)

Regards,
Dragos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back