Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to VPN through 678 dsl modem using NAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullbaiter1

Technical User
Mar 22, 2001
US
I support small NT network (1 NT server 7 NT pcs). The boss wants to access server from home using vpn. Their DSL service is setup to use dynamic ip's and NAT in the DSL modem. I've opened port 1723 but am still unable to connect. I get a message "error 650 ras service not running" when I try to log in. I can see myself come into the dsl modem. But believe that the Server is having a hard time negotiating my logon. I've read I need GRE 47 (ip protocal 47) open on the modem as well. I am unable to find a command to do it. Does anyone know if a VPN using NAT is possible on this device? If not, does anyone know of a third party software that can do it (as opposed to microsofts built it pptp vpn capabilities). I've approaced them about statip IP's but they do not want to go that route. We have a limited budget and no firewall.

Try this
I am not sure if it will on a 678
But it worked on my 1600 just fine

In your access-list put in the
following statement

permit gre any any

Put that in both the inbound and outbound
lists.

Good luck

I've set up 1600's as well and have used access lists, however, I can't find any internal commands on this 678 that will allow me to open up any gre ports/traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back