Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to use VPN to work as if on LAN - simply

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisbee

Technical User
Oct 13, 2001
GB
I know what VPN is all about abd I can connect a VPN and ping the other computers (i.e. 192.168.1.5), I can connect with the names (i.e. Dell1000), I can browse each computer by typing either the name of the IP - BUT I cannot get it to work as if I were on the LAN. i.e. I cannot click 'Computers near me' and get a list of the LAN computers - although I can connect t o each one. It just says THE SERVER FOR WORKGROUP IS NOT AVAILABLE - usual stuff. What is it that is preventing a standard 'LAN like' connection.

You don't mention what O/S or VPN solution you're using... but...

You need the workgroup of your PC to match the workgroup of the target network. You probably have a "standard 'LAN like' connection", just having some trouble with the Windows concept of workgroups/domains...

If you're using something like the Nortel Contivity client it has the ability to be installed as a service on WinNT or Win2k allowing you to establish the VPN, log the user off, then log back in as a full participant of the remote domain/workgroup.

Altonj

Thanks for the help. I am using a Sun Cobalt Qube as the VPN gateway - onto a network that has a W2k server an XP machine and a W2k machine. I try to VPN in - and it works - only thing I can't do is view in the Network Neighbourhood.

Any ideas why?

My guess is that your workgroup names don't match. Find out what their workgroup/domain name is and set yours to match.

Is your local box Win2k?

Regards,
Jim

the workgroup is 'REGENCY' on both
As I said the VPN is coming in through a Cobalt Qube 3 - which is set up to deal with windows but is actually LINUX (but don't let that get in the way of your thinking as all it does is provide the link - and it is doing that ok)

So I can ping, browse by IP, by computer name - whatever - when I look at a computer via IP or name the workgroup then appears on the left under 'other places' (WINXP) but when I click on it it takes about 1min then says - the workgroup server is not available or you do not have permission. Thing is I think I do! I am signing in as the same user who on the actual LAN can do whatever they want (i.e. Admin)

Is this a WINS issue, a DNS issue - or just an issue !! Hair thinning at this point due to much tearing

Hey... I'm darn near bald after 20 years in this business.

In my current config I have a RH 7.2 Linux box (desktop experiment) among my Win2k boxen. And we can make it participate on the domain via samba.

But, if it's only handling your VPN connection then it's smb.conf shouldn't be part of the equation.

If the Windoze boxen at your end matches the workgroup at the far end... my next question would be... do you have Netbeui enabled at your end? If so, disable it and force Windows to send all of it's traffic over IP.

NetBeui not playing a part......its disabled and all is IP !!!

The fact that you can 'view' the remote machines at all leads me to think your VPN set up is fine.

I've avoided XP so far so I can't speak to it's default behavior... have actually been removing XP from machines of late.

It may be a policy issue at the remote domain - not allowing 'guest' access to browse. Have you tried putting your XP PC into the domain?

We don't have a domain - just a workgroup - one W2k - one XP and one W2K Adv Server (which is actually running as a domain server etc). I have not taken XP off - just bought a new Dell with it on...before that it was a W2K only network. Still the same. As I can 'see' the drives on a computer I am guessing that it isn't permissions either as I am not asked for a password anywhere once I have go the VPN up. Just seems too wierd.

It seems that a lot of people have had this problem -but no one seems to have posted a solution - except one who installed Netbeui and said it all worked....tried that and no!

I checked the Win2k forum FAQ... nothing there. Have you posted the question in that forum?

I currently have a pair of Linux firewalls between my house and the office... a domain set up at the office.. the workgroup at the house is not defined with the same name. Tonight I'll change that and see what we see... and I'll get back to you with the results.

Thanks don't want to be a pain - but would appreciate the help!

Chris,

I did as described... got the same error message you're getting and this is from an Win98SE box... treats it like it can't go across a router. Hrmmm... I'll let you know if I find anything else but the Windows folks would likely know best.

Regards,
Jim

It sounds like that you forgot to put IP address for your WINS Server (if you use any) in the 192.168.1.* LAN range.

Chris:

As above make sure your workgroup on the client is the same as on the network, then stop the Computer Browser in the Services on Win 2k server, then you should be able to see the computers in the workgroup from Network Neighborhood.

Me and some friends have shared our cable internet connection with ipchains and samba (Redhat Linux 7.2).
So we have four seperate networks, which we want to connect through VPN, so, that it seems we have only one network, so that we can share files / etc.

What do we have to do to make a VPN? What do we need on the clients (Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP) and what do we need to do on the servers/firewalls (Redhat Linux 7.2)?

Thanks in advance

A WINS server is whats needed.
I haven't come across a NON Win2K/NT WINS server, except in SAMBA (which works very well incidentally).

When all the clients connect to the WINS server they will subscribe their netbios services to the WINS server and then query it for the names of all machine on the network that have already subscribed... (am I making sense ? It's far too late!)

Still can't get to browse the network---the WINS server is running as far as I can see - all the Workgroup names are correct.....am lost!

I have been experincing the same problem. I still have problems but I am "Half" way there. I had two remote VPN offices, could not browse or join domain from across WAN.
I had some W98 clients and some W2K clients. After the creation of a WINS server, I statically entered the WINS and DNS settings in users across VPN, saw that they were registering with the WINS server..and now they are able to browse.

As for the W2K clients. I had them in the same workgroup as my Domain here. I could see that they were also registering with WINS on this side, but they could not browse. I was able to have them join domain from across VPN WAN (before WINS I could not) and now they too can browse this network.

So I would suggest a WINS server, make sure it points to itself and check to see if clients can reach it (NBTSTAT).
I would suggest, and from what I have read, do not put it on the DC if possible. Also, check the setting on their NIC's for NetBIOS.

Now the last part of my puzzle is I have 2 VPN offices.1 is running fine and can browse. The other cannot. Even though I can see they are beinging authenicated ny DC, reaching WINS and DNS, but just can't browse.
I will keep looking

I had this problem before. We have a total Win2K network with VPN to remote clients. Our problem ended up being our hardware firewall (SOHO). We had netbios blocked and once that was opened up, it seemed to correct the problem. I am somewhat of a newbie myself, so I am watching this thread closely, too!
CurtisInterruptus

Yeah,
This is killing me now. I thought I had everything working at one office, at least it was on Monday. Then I go back and try it Wednesday, and no name resoultion. I don't get it. Even though I still see that they are hitting WINS, DNS and authenicated to the DC.
CurtisInterruptus, do you remember which ports you opened to let NetBIOS through? I know WINS uses TCP 139, UDP 138 and 137. Is your WINS across the VPN erratic or pretty trust worthy?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back