Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to use Ghost to back up for these 2 Machines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelGuy

Technical User
Sep 3, 2003
US
Hi Perphenazine,

I have 3 computer with the following hard drive configuration, can u tell me whether is it possible to back up the entire image of the hard drive of each machine ?

Machine 1:

Drive C: 18.6GB total and used 7GB --- Physical Drive 1

Drive E: 9.97GB total and used 0.57GB
---- Also on Physical Drive 1

Drive D: 12.6GB total and used 2.4 GB and 10.2GB Free --- 2nd DriveLubo – Drive C: 19.0GB total and used 2.50 GB and 16.50GB Free --- 2nd Physical Hard Drive

Machine 2:

Drive C: 19.0GB total and used 2.50 GB --- Drive 1

Drive E: 9.55GB total and used 2.71 GB and 6.84GB Free --- 2nd physical Drive

Is it possible to use Ghost to back up the image of Drive 1 to the secondary drive ?

Also is it possible just to back up the used portion of a particular partition to the secondary hard drive ?

Please advise ASAP.

You can use Ghost to create images of an entire hard drive or just a single partition. If you wanted to back up a machine containing multiple hard drives then you would need to create multiple images..at least one per physical drive.

As a side note, unless Ghost has changed recently..it can only create a maximum of 2gb worth of data in one image. If the drive or partition contains more data, then mutliple files (spanning) will be created to contain the total image.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

You can also try Drive Image or Image Cast 3. I'm not sure what Drive Image's capacity is, but Image Cast has a 2 gb capacity for each image also. The good thing is that it's very fast compared to the Ghost, according to some independent tests from one of their retailers.

mr

I would vote against DriveImage.. I bought IMage first and then after much cursing, bought Ghost which works without a complaint.

Mike S

I would go with Ghost. I have used Drive Image (all versions) but find Ghost has no problems where Drive Image had them. Ghost is also at least twice as fast a Drive Image.
I havce my 18 GB hard drive partitioned into FAt32 4.6 GB drives plus leflt over.
I use Compression when saving images and have had no problems.

Hmm, has anyone here tried Image Cast 3 besides me? I actually think it's a very easy to use and has a nice GUI. Not to mention it's very fast (80mb/min transfer for 12 computers copying the same image).

As for drive image, I haven't used it myself but have heard good things about it from other users.

mr

I have used Ghost version 2001 to back up my c: drive (fat32) to the slave d: drive, however W2K then would only boot from d: drive. Possibly this will work if you pull the d: drive after running Ghost. I wound up re-installing W2K as I could not re-configure boot.ini successfully to get it to boot from c: drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back