Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to use 2 ethernet cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

collings1

Programmer
Apr 29, 1999
US
I have signed up for Cable modem access that hooks up to my builtin ethernet port. But, I would also like to use my Ethernet printer. Is is possible to use a second ethernet card for ether the printer or modem?

It is permissable to use 2 ethernet cards, however, only 1 can be active at a time, selectable<br>
through the system software.

Yes. Use one for internet (tcp) and the other for your<br>
printer (Appletalk). <br>
Control Panels:AppleTalk:Select add-in ethernet<br>
Control Panels:tcp/ip:Select built-in ethernet<br>
I just set up a web server like this. One enet goes to the<br>
internet via a tcp/ip router and the other goes to our network so the Mac users can access the machine without<br>
having to ftp into it. Works nicely.<br>

YES, it is possible. I do it myself. I can access both ports simultaneously with no problem. Onboard e-net i use for cable modem, PCI e-net card (Farallon. Got it new on E-Bay - $15) I use for my home network including 3 other macs and a network inkjet printer. No college degree required.<br>
VicomSoft's 'Surf Doubler' software can be used to share your internet connection to another mac so you can surf with two computers at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back