Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to uninstall XP Pro and reinstall Win2K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moreno441

Technical User
Mar 7, 2002
NL
Hi.
I'm having a serious problem on a workstation regarding Win2K.
It's twofold but here's some history.
I was running 2k pro when I wanted to fix a problem with Windows not populating Install/Remove programs correctly. The solution Microsoft provided advised to do a upgrade to Win2K. That's when it all went wrong because at some point the machine couldn't read from the disk and stopped in the midst of the installation. I couldn't get into the machine so I installed XP pro a longside the corrupted Win2K. If I try booting up W2K this is what I get:
Entrypoint not found in DLL ADVAPI32.dll after that I get another screen saying
C;\WINNT\system32\Isass.exe statuscode 128.
Is there a way to either uninstall XP and reinstall Win2K pro *or* reinstall Win2K.

I'm sorry this is so longwinded but I'm really getting desperate because it's a workmachine with critical files I can't afford to lose.
Thanks in advance
Alfred

Have you tried running a repair install of either OS? This may get you something long enough so you can get those files off the hard drive and onto the network or floppies. Jennifer Sigman
Code-borrower extraordinaire
"They call us public servants for a reason..."

Boot up the computer and get into the bios. Change the boot sequence so the computer first boots off of the CDRom. Put in your W2K disk and reboot/exit bios screen. Install W2K off of the CD and just reformat the HD and create your new partitions. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

I believe he's trying to avoid formatting the hard drive, since he said, "...it's a workmachine with critical files I can't afford to lose."
Jennifer Sigman
Code-borrower extraordinaire
"They call us public servants for a reason..."

Another approach would be to remove the disc stick it on the back of another machine to recover your files -then rebuild from scratch?? Just a thought

Andy Turner
Sys Admin

Yep, put it in another machine as a slave, remove what you need and rebuild. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back