Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is it possible to store an array in a sql database?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wixsas

Programmer
May 23, 2007
AU
Hi just wondering if it was possible to store an array in an sql database???
Here is my code:

my @ListOfSongs = param("songs");

my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:SQLite:sessions.db")
or die "Cannot connect: " . $DBI::errstr;

$sth = $dbh->prepare("UPDATE sessions SET contents = @ListOfSongs WHERE cartID = $cookie")
or die "Cannot prepare";
$sth->execute() or die "Cannot execute";

As you can see i have an array called @ListOfSongs which holds song titles. I want to store it in the array so that i can then pull it out later when it is needed.

Cheers

You never put quotes around ? placeholders in the SQL. It looks like it might be some kind of parameter binding error. Have a look at the bind methods in the DBI documentation on CPAN.

Although DBI has some support for passing in a couple of lists of parameters and breaking them down into tuples, so you can do a multiple insert with one call, it looks like it might be more trouble than it's worth. Have a go with the bind and see what happens. Also, if you can post a snippet showing what your code looks like at the moment, it might help. You can also print out $DBI::err and $DBI::errstr after each call for debugging.

Does it break on the first iteration, or the second? Is it a primary key issue?

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back