Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to script the first-time setup of Outlook during login?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DROFNUD

MIS
Oct 16, 2001
GB

Is it possible to script the first-time setup of Outlook?

You know, the bit where it asks for your mail server, name, shoe size etc, after trying to open Outlook for the first time after login to a new or different PC.

I can't imagine it would be that difficult, but I havn't a clue where to start...

Anyone done this before?
Cheers...
Si...

Use the custom installation wizard from the Office XP Resource kit and create a PRF file that can be ran from an intranet server or a simple shortcut.

Thanks very much.

I've seen the wizard since posting this, but havn't got around to completing the task yet. It's good to know that a solution is in sight.

Cheers,
Si...
------------------------------------------
Far too busy to be enjoying myself - Lol..

Once you start the wizard just fill in the blanks and it will look like something you don't want to be in but eventually towards the end of the process it will ask you if you would like to create a .prf file. Once you have created the file you can cancel the wizard. It took my about 5 min to create .prf and has saved me and staff hours of setting up profiles over the phone and in person. Now it is simply go to our Intranet site and click button that says Setup My Outlook Email.

I'll take this all one step further for you. Take a look at my FAQ faq96-4996. This will show you how to push out Outlook from Active Directory and have it all be pathced with hotfixes and configured etc.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back