Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to restore an individual APPLICATION? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallacealex

Technical User
Mar 19, 2002
ZA
What I would like to know, is it possible in the case of a disk crash to restore an individual application (in this case TIME AND ATTENDANCE)to a different server using Netbackup Datacentre 5.1 without having to restore the whole drive. If yes, how do I go about doing it.

Oh, we are not making use of any agents to backup open files.

Thanks in advance.

Applications are normally installed not restored.
Think about it.

Bob Stump
VERITAS - "Ain't it the truth?"

Our policy has been to restore only data created by the applications. Not the applications themselves.

Rebuild the box, reinstall the app and restore the data...

Cant go wrong :)

That is, if the app owner can reinstall and configure their app properly!

Thank you all for your input - much appreciated. Just goes to show there is no such a thing as a dumb question on this site. GREAT GUYS.

Hello wallacealex,

Yes, you can.

For Windows (I'm not that familiar with Linux), how easy it is will depend on whether or not the application uses registry keys. If it does you will need to restore the entire registry (possibly causing problems elsewhere on the computer), or restore it elsewhere and find the keys that need to be restored to the server.

I think it is safer to re-install the application, that way you can be sure that everything is setup properly.

Alexander Harris

I wouldn't recommend restoring the registry if the entire machine itself is not already hosed as well.

You could really f- the whole machine up, but sometimes that does work though too.

This is why Bare Metal Restore exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back