Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to password protect a folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radha83

Programmer
Feb 19, 2002
IN
is it possible to password protect a folder? if so how?
thanks
Radha

Hi...

There are several free utilities out there, such as DMagic, Encryption Plus, HideFolders, Locker, etc...do a Google, or go to NONAGS or CNET...

John

"A Mind Is A Terrible Thing..."

Why not use windows?

Right click on the folder.
Go to properties.
Click on the Sharing tab.
Click Sharing.
Share as. (you can share as any name you want).
Access type choose "Depends on password" then choose a Read only password and a full access password.
Make sure in Network neighborhood you have Share level access checked.

DON'T FORGET THE PASSWORDS.

Because win98 uses fat32, and that filesystem does not support ownership of files and folders. The solution you're outlining would have no effect locally, only for network access. To password protect files or folders you need a file system like ntfs.

Third party tools is the only solution for this problem.

best regard
Katamann

Agree. You can only protect these folders in share level using networked PC's. But if it's your own PC, these folders can be opened even with sharing password. That's my problem when I want to hide some explicit jpegs from my children, he, he, he.

You are correct. I assumed you were doing this on a network.

Heres a solution, zip it up and password protect it. Its more secure than the 3rd party solutions as those can be easily circumvented by other 3rd party explorer/viewers like Ulead Photo Explorer, going into dos, using another os, etc. The zip method is better because its not going to be exposed accidently and will have to take some knowledge and time to crack a password protected zip file, plus you should be able to drag and drop into the protected zip file then delete the original files, get a program like eraser 5.1 that will shred your original files for additional paranoid protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back