Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to install Win App without .net Framework?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awsok

Programmer
Apr 11, 2005
DK
Hi Folk

I have created a Win .net Application and when I try to install it, it asks me to install the .net Framework first!!

Is it possible to install a Win App on third party machines without the need to install the .net Framework?!!!!!!!!!

This is a big disaster, if I will need to install a 20 MB to make a 200 kb application Works!

I need to run my application without the .net Framework!

Any ideas please?
Thanks

Welcome to VB.net :)
The idea really is that the .NET framework should be installed on every computer anyway. You can install it through the WindowsUpdate funtion, future versions of Windows will have it as standard. For now, you can bite the bullet, or rewrite it to VB6 or C++....

Thanks for answer ;)
Well that’s got to be really disappointing!!!!!

Then how can Microsoft itself, run their application without the need for the .net Framework!
And how can 100s of programs, which looks as if they used .net framework! Works fine without asking for the Framework installation!
I am disappointed not about the whole VS.net! Why languages like Delphi and C++ works fine with out it!
Just thinking

WILL IT WORK FINE IF I RE-WRITE MY APPILICATION IN VB6 without the need to install any extra components

Java is the same way, you need to have a JVM installed inorder to run a Java app. It's called Managed Code. It allows for a centralized library of code to be controled, updated, corrected. The original VB series (v3-v6) also require an extra piece of software (VBRunX00.dll) although the VB deployment wizard wraps it into each deployement.

The .Net framework has to be installed because the .EXE you are creating in .Net is actually CLR, not assembly. When that CLR code gets run on a machine for the first time, it gets recompiled to the machine's native code. That means that you code will automaticly be optimized for which ever machine it gets installed on.

-Rick

----------------------

[monkey] I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]
[banghead]

If your app doesn't take any external controls (OCX, DLL), all you need is the VB6 runtime. But Win2K, XP, (NT4???) have this installed by default I think.

As Rick says, but additionally if you use MS Visual C++ you need the msvc?? files.

As far as I am aware, Delphi is the only language you can use to write a program where you can just copy the .exe. This is why I use Delphi when I need this facility.

This feature may also be available with Borland's C++ Builder.

Well...
Then it seems to me that .net is actually useful when someone want to write a highly complex application that will need lots of efforts to produce using C++ or Java. Then things get easier with .net!

But for simple applications... then .net doesn’t worth it!

Cheers

Use the right tool for the job. the .Net framework is pretty flexable as far as the Windows environment (desktop/web apps) is concerned. I haven't checked in on MONO for a while, but theres always hope for Linux support.

But there are many times when .Net is not the right tool. I wouldn't use .Net for any kind of light weight embedded technology. I wouldn't use .Net (yet) for anything that has to be cross platform stable. I wouldn't use .Net for writing a process intense scientific engine.

-Rick

----------------------

[banghead]

NO NO NO NO...
It was much better for Microsoft, with 1000s of senior programs and Millions of dollars spend on salaries every month to produce a little TOOL that would extract only the necessary files from the .net Framework, with the setup program, and eliminate the need for the whole .net Framework with 1000s of classes that are not needed or used at all in run time!!!

Isn’t that smarter for Microsoft, than to ask the developers to push their clients to install .net Framework?

What about people who prefer to keep using Win 2000 or NT and don’t have ADSL. 100s of companies they don’t want to upgrade their PCs! Right. No need for that as long as the old OS is working fine for them!

However, I was thinking to learn and use the VS.net, but after this… sorry, its not something to relay on!

Thanks for all.

I believe it's all a ploy by Microsoft to MAKE people upgrade (PCs, Operating Environments, whatever they need to upgrade to keep things working), so that they can then reap the benefits of people spening money keeping their systems working and up to date.

Bill Gates is one hell of a marketer! [bomb]

It was much better for Microsoft, with 1000s of senior programs and Millions of dollars spend on salaries every month to produce a little TOOL that would extract only the necessary files from the .net Framework, with the setup program, and eliminate the need for the whole .net Framework with 1000s of classes that are not needed or used at all in run time!!!

The framework provides much more then just the standard libraries. The advantages of a central library of managed code is a great stride up from requiring dependency lists, dll hell, versioning issues, driver support for different environments, etc. Yes, it would be awesome to have a fully robust application that does everything imaginable and fits on a 5 1/4 floppy, but it's not realistic. .Net gives us all the advantages, with the penalty of it's size.

Isn’t that smarter for Microsoft, than to ask the developers to push their clients to install .net Framework?

The framework is a standard. Everything XP sp2 and later comes with it. All future Window's OSs will include it. Most major Microsoft Apps will ship with it. Given time, the .Net framework will be installed on the vast majority of machines.

What about people who prefer to keep using Win 2000 or NT and don’t have ADSL. 100s of companies they don’t want to upgrade their PCs! Right. No need for that as long as the old OS is working fine for them!
Don't have broadband at work? Have one of your network techs burn the install from home. Someone from the IT department will have a board band connection, or will be able to run the download over night from the office. It's 27 megs, it's not a freaking terrabyte. And if you don't have atleast a single network admin, or even external support, you are probrably not in a company that will be developing custom apps. Also, NT is no longer supported, if you are still running NT you are SOL, just like Win 95 users. Sorry, that's just the way it is. If you are using an out dated OS, you are not going to be running a .Net application. And as far as the work involved, installing .Net is part of the Windows Update, a skilled net admin shop can even maintain the updates locally, pushing the install at night or in the background so that they don't even have to abuse their bandwidth.

I believe it's all a ploy by Microsoft to MAKE people upgrade (PCs, Operating Environments, whatever they need to upgrade to keep things working), so that they can then reap the benefits of people spening money keeping their systems working and up to date.

I agree and disagree. Things have changed alot in the last 10 years. I for one am GLAD to be rid of Win 95 and NT. They were great systems in their day, but life moves on. If you really want to be old school you can sit arround coding in ADA until your heart is content. The rest of us will be embracing new technological standards and moving forward.

-Rick

----------------------
[banghead]If you're about to post an ASP.Net question,
please don't do it in the VB.Net forum[banghead]

Rick, I agree 100%.

When I need to produce a single file .exe or .dll, I turn to Delphi (my backgroud is x86 Assembler and Pascal and I'm not writing Windows apps in Assembler).

As brilliant as Delphi is, .NET wipes the floor with it, at least the versions prior to Delphi.Net So currently, I'm working in Access, SQL Server, VB.Net (and it looks as if I might have to brave C# in the not too distant future) and Delphi when appropriate.

Each tool serves a purpose, and it is our responsibility to ensure that we have the skills to both use the appropriate tool and also to recognise which tool is the appropriate one for the job in hand. Even a combination of tools where necessary.

As an alternative, Realbasic allows you to write VB6 style apps which are compiled into a single executable (no libraries), AND they are cross-platform MS-Apple-Linux!!! These guys got some good press recently:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back