Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it Possible to install gcc of RedHat 7.2 on RedHat 8.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasj0e

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
Hi
I have a RedHat 8.0 machine with gcc version 3.2.For some crosscheck, I need to install gcc 2.96 which comes with Red Hat 7.2.Is it possible to install 2.96 version on Red Hat 8.0?
Pls help me on this.
sas

Here is a small script for you.

rpm -e gcc --nodeps
cd /root
wget ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/gcc-2.96-98.i386.rpm

rpm -ivh gcc-2.96-98.i386.rpm
# or rpm -i gcc-2.96-98.i386.rpm ( choose either one )

exit 0

Yeah I knew this.But there were few dependencies to be installed,.Mainly the version of cpp should match with the gcc version.
I have downloaded dependencies also and its workin fine now.
thanks for the suggestion.
sas

Hi sasj0e and everybody, I've have the same goal: install gcc 2.96 on rh 8.0.

To do it I need the right cpp packages. When installing them I've conflicts with current rh8.0 packages. If I try to uninstall the rh8.0 ones (for instance gcc-c++, libstdc++...) in order to substitute them by the rh7.2 packages (which belongs to gcc 2.96) I realise that there're a big bunch of rh8.0 packages depending on them.

How have you solved it?

Marc

do a search for installing oracle on redhat 7.2 , you have to change the gcc, etc .. basically what it involves is moving the old binaries somewhere else, creating links where they were to the older version, then when done, removing links and putting newer version back where it belongs.

You should be able to install the [tt]compat-gcc[/tt] family of packages without any problems. That should give you access to gcc 2.

//Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back