Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to have RDP server co-exist within a Web Server ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorney

Technical User
Sep 15, 2003
CA
Hello SME,

I have a Web Server Windows Server 2008 R2 and would like to add a role of RDP server. Is it possible?

I know from the Server Manager Wizard, it doesn't offer the option. The only role I could add is DNS.

Is there a way via command line?

Keep in mind this server is not for Production, it's a lab/trial for students.

Thanks,
Sylvain

RDP is not a role.

In Server Manager, under Server Summary/Computer Information, one of the listed tasks should be 'Configure Remote Desktop'

Ok got it for RDP for a single user, it is working. But how to have multiple RDP sessions with the same user but not the same screen/window ?
Is it Terminal Server Role then?

Thanks,
Sylvain

Terminal Server was renamed Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2008 R2. So, yes, if you want more than the two simultaneous connections provided by Remote Desktop, you need to add the Remote Desktop Session Host role. Be aware, however, that you need to have purchased additional client access licences (RDS CALs) for each client to use this. And you'll need a licencing server. And even so, by default a single user can't have multiple different sessions running, although you can change this through group policy: Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Connections\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back