Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to generate a new VGID for an existing VG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapter11

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
US
Short version: is it possible in any way to change the VGID on a VG?

Long version: I am experimenting with using SAN snapshots to do backups of database LUNs.

Our nightly process requires 2 full cold backups of a given database, which resides on an EMC SAN.

The current process, for each cold, shuts down the database, does a full cold backup of it, then brings it back up.

The experimental process, for each cold, shuts down the database, performs a SAN-level snapshot, then brings the DB back up. The snapshot is then mounted to another machine to perform the actual disk-to-tape activity.

Both the DB server and my backup server are AIX.

The problem I am running into comes when I try to mount both snapshots to the backup server: since both are a snapshot of the original LUN, both have the same VGDA and therefore VGID. importvg works fine for the first, but when I add the second snapshot LUN, the PVs get added to the first imported VG.

So, something like a "generate new VGID" ability would be nice...

Yes I know the double-cold requirement is odd. Yes I know the trend is to move away from tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back