Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to EXPORT Ms Access Chart into PowerPoint or Excel? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamrak

MIS
Jan 18, 2001
US
I created several reports with Charts & graphs in Microsoft Access 2000. Everything worked fine.

I would like to export these graphs directly to Microsoft PowerPoint. I do not know that it is possible or not. If not, I am willing to have these charts sent to Microsoft Excel and I will move them to PowerPoint later.

I have over 100 reports created in MS Access 2000 and each report contains one chart.

I tried to work from the Design View by copy and paste. It won't accept the paste command in Microsoft Excel.

Did I do anything wrong such as improper set-up the Properties of the charts? The OLE type is "Embedded" and I could not change it.

Do I need to change something to make it work? All of your advices will be very much appreciated. I do not know much about the VB command. I hope that it is not too difficult. Thank you.

Have you tried opening the report then on your toolbar you should see the Word 200 icon. There is a drop down arrow next to it...it has an option to send it to excel.

Peanut:

It does not work. The data will be posted without any problem. However, the graph/chart will not be exported to the Excel file.

Ms. Access (at least through ver '97) WILL NOT send/export/share or otherwise present the GRAPHICS of a chart.

There are some third party tools which will 'capture' the bit map of a chart and paste it elsewhere, however I have found these to be less than desireable for production processes.

I have done some work with the process via Excel. My approach to this is:

Create an Excel Workbook with the chart and data as you would like it to be.

Name each data range use for the chart.

From Ms. Access, Export the appropiate info set to it's Excel Workbook.NamedRange.

In general, I have placed the Chart on a seperate sheet, and seperated the named ranges in the "Stair-Step" format to prevent any possability of overlapping range problems.

I have never done more than about a dozen of htese in a single Ms. Access app/db, however the dozen (or so) were run from a single command button, executed by a non-programmer/user to generate management review reports on a daily basis. This process was run sucessfully for over six-months before I left the organization. I am not aware of any problems which arose after I left, but then I am not aware of any success either. Oh well, it worked while I was there.

p.s. the reason Ms. Access cannot 'export' charts is that Ms. Access doesn't (directly) support/generate the charts. It is all done via one of the "applets" (Ms Chart) which is invoked via OLE?

MichaelRed
mred@duvallgroup.com
There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I was stunned to learn that we could not export the graph/chart from MS Access to another Office program.

I was surprised to see many of the Access textbook teaches us how to create the charts in the report. However, what good it will be to have the chart printed and my boss would like to use it in her presentation.

The chart that I created in Access was a good one and I was very proud of it. However, it was bad when I could not export or even copy to another program.

Thank you for your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back