Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to disable one parameter field based on another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyH1

Programmer
Jan 11, 2004
GB
In SQL Report Builder I have a drop down parameter field 'Report period' containing the following values
1. Specified dates
2. Entire program
3. Last quarter

I also have two fields 'start date' and 'end date' for the specified dates if chosen. What I would like to do is have these two fields disabled or better still hidden if the user chooses options 2 or 3. is this possible and if so can someone advise me how to do it?
Thanks
AndyH1

Hi Andy,

No I don't think it is possible to show or hide parameters based on the values of other parameters.

An alternative option you might consider is to publish your report to a folder, hide it using security permissions, and present to the users two "linked reports" based on the hidden one. You could then show/hide different combinations of parameters on each, e.g. one can show the start and end date parameters, while in the other the users can select "Entire Program" or "Last Quarter" (no need for the "Specified Dates" option). To the users they will appear to be 2 different reports, but you will only need to maintain one in the background.

Not ideal I know, but I have used this method to overcome similar issues in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back