Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to develop palm apps with VB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyal

Programmer
May 15, 2000
IL
Is it possible to develop palm apps with VB?

I'm just getting into developing for the Palm, and I have yet to find their API.. but I'd guess that VB (useful for constructing programs for the Windows OS) would not be useful for developing apps for the Palm OS. I could be wrong... just my first (somewhat uneducated) guess. <br><br>Liam Morley<br><A HREF="mailto:"></A><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.&quot;

in my opinion some of the most useful languages would be native or low level programming language, something that can compile only what you need together. Such languages I'm looking into for creating palm apps (I've still to find some reasources) are VC++ and Java , I have found a Java VM for Palm called Waba which is free (wabasoft.com) I've seen some SDKs for VC++ to write for PalmOS , I've yet been able to download them. Typically some charge money, unless it's an SDK from a specific PDS manufactuer like mine (trgpro.com)

I doubt with Visual Basic (mostly known for it's visual ability not it's console coding) you could make a successful PalmOS app.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

After reading this post and responding the other day, I noticed an O'Reilly book concerned with Programming for the Palm OS. It looked dated... The Palm III seemed to be the newest Palm out at the time of the book release... yet it seemed to focus on a GUI, almost WYSIWYG interface with many of the 3rd party apps highlighted in the book (at least that's what the pictures looked like... I didn't get much of a chance to look, I was just thumbing through). However, I'd still be willing to say that VB wouldn't work, just because MS doesn't seem to have added the necessary hooks to allow a GUI interface you've created with VB to be used with a different file format. Plus.. the Palm has one screen size which can not be changed for any app, and VB can create a program of pretty much any size.<br><br>There is a Palm OS Developers' site... It's not entirely easy to navigate, but I could give you a few quick links to help you sign up and get the SDK/Documentation if you'd like. <br><br>Liam Morley<br><A HREF="mailto:"></A><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.&quot;

I'd also say that Microsoft would be putting effort into WinCE Development , rather than trying to write languages to work with PalmOS platform (just like why you dont find VC++ compiling linux applications, even tho it may be remotely possible)
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Yes a brand new product out called &quot;App Forge&quot;

AppForge is a development platform that works with Microsoft® Visual Basic®. Transform your idea into a product in a few easy steps:

Create your program in the Visual Basic environment
Compile and test it
Transfer it using the HotSync® button
Run your program on your device
Think it. Build it. It's that easy.

I have a DEMO but it is so new things don't work right.
DougP, MCP
dposton@universal1.com

Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Also, there is another software could help you. It's Satellite Forms from Pumatech, and the environment is like VB.

I would be very surprised if Microsoft made some effort in the Palm platform, as they are making a lot of improvements in PocketPC to be similar to Palm.

In this vein, I have just finished building a fairly complex application for the Symbol SPT1700 (basically a ruggedized palm pilot with a built in laser scanner) for use in taking inventory physical counts.

The application data is tightly integrated with a microsoft access 2000 database (obtains its tables directly from access 2000 and uploads data directly to access 2000, no &quot;go-between&quot; intermediat files to deal with at all).

the development platform i am using is Satellite Forms by Pumatech. The visual basic like scripting made it simple. you can use global variables etc etc as well.

I control all the uploading and downloading of files to and from the palm device from a microsoft access 2000 form, it was a piece of cake.

I am currently in the process of creating another application for use in order taking (salesman uses the device to put together a customers order while browsing the sales yard with the client by scanning the barcodes on the items and entering the quantities the customer wants).

I am using the standard edition of satellite forms version 3.5.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back