Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is it possible to create a 'user-less' xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saikano

Technical User
Aug 18, 2004
US
is this whole individual user setup in xp so integrated that it cannot be extracted/ disabled?

i have one computer and i don't need a login or anything like that. i just need to turn it on and use it as soon as possible

There are settings that you can go through on the local group policy that can allow you to turn on and go....

See for how to automatically log in to windows.

However you have to have at least one user setup on the system. This can be the built in Administrator account, however I would recommend leaving that account in the background and having a user account that you use on a daily basis. Use that account to automatically log in.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

You might see an account with the name "Owner" when you first log on after installing XP. The owner account, with computer administrator privileges, is created during installation if no user accounts are set up at that time. You can rename this account with a user's name.

282866 - How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP

315231 - How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP

XP Home, Eliminate User Login requirement?
thread779-880540

i currently have the administrator/daily user setup, and i never have to see the login screen because i have the auto logon feature setup in the registry. I'd like to re-word my question:

Is it possible to get rid of the whole user concept? like it was in win 3.11. i just want the xp os, and security is not an issue.

No.

The entire NT family of OS software was built on exactly this "username password" authentication system. Other than the autologon you already use, there is nothing to do but revert to Windows 98SE. (3.11 is a bit of a stretch for me to accept).

lol you're right! i wasn't really trying to head toward 3.11...i just wanted to make my idea clear - hehe....i couldn't remember if 98se had a login system or not

It does, but it was pants and very easy to circumnavigate. People complained, so they introduced username/password into WinXP. Now people complain about that instead. :)

Avoid the issue altogether and go back to DOS. :)

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to strip out the security features of WinXP?

Ed.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

We have this on a couple of PC's and all we have done is configure one user (Called 'User') with no password. This way, on bootup XP doesn't bother asking for a user/password it just boots up and sits at the desktop just like previous windows versions did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back