Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to change a datasource at design time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meryls

Technical User
Nov 20, 2003
US
Every time I have tried (in Crystal 9) to change a data sourve location to a different ttx (field definition) file, even with the same field names, I have lost all my data, causing my field positions to vanish, and formulas and section formatting to be invalid.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there any steps I can follow to map new fields to old ones and then remove the old ones?

Ultimately, what I really want to do, is change the datasource from ttx to xml files, use the same field names and types, and not have to completely re-do my reports.

Thanks!
Meryl Smith

What have you been doing? The standard method is Database > Set Datasource Location.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Madawc,

I have set datasource location successfully many times if the directory of the ttx file changes and the name of the file stays the same, but not if I point to a different file name.

If I make a copy of the SAME ttx file, and use set data source location to that file, I get this error message:
"Some tables could not be replaced, as no match was found in the new data source. Please specify the table required for any unmodified tables."

I believe this is because Crystal uses the ttx file name as part of the field name, e.g., {ttxfilename.datafieldname}.

I haven't found any way to get around that.

Thanks for your help.
Meryl

Nothing I am familiar with. Can anyone else help?

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back