Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to avoid the dynamic IP sorbs.net trap? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryoun1b

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
I have installed an exchange 2003 server running on an SBS 2003 server behind a comcast.net cable modem service which dynamically assigns an ip address to my firewall/router. The IP address has not changed at all in the past 6 months of owning this connection, but in case it does I have a DYNDNS.org name that resolves to my current IP address.

My exchange server sends and receives email without a hitch, however those companies that use the sorbs.net spam filters will not accept my outbound email for the mere reason that my email server is behind a dynamically assigned IP address.

Does anyone know how I can get around this without paying for a fixed IP ISP service at twice the cost?

For example, I figured if I can forward outbound mail via a smart host then the mail would come from the smart host instead of from my exchange host. What I am not sure of is whether the sorbs spam filters are looking at the originating IP address or the sendmail ip address of the smart host for determining whether to accept the mail.

Any Ideas??

Thanks!

It doesn't matter - the smart host will sort it out. That's the only way to play this game short of a static IP and an FQDN.

Thanks for the reply. I set up the ip of a smart host in the default smtp server and restarted the routing engine however this did not work. Do I need to create a new virtual smtp server? Is there a post of kb article which describes this in detail?

Thanks!

Try setting the default SMTP Virtual servers smarthost to Comcast's outgoing smtp server. This should work since your on their connection.

I added the comcast smtp server to the small business smtp connector which then added it to the smtp virtual server.

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Only problem is you're limited to Comcast's max of (I think) 10 MB for outbound. In my view that's plenty for anyone -- users be damned!

Good thing is that we only have a few employees. When the company grows we will get behind a fixed IP ISP service.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, should have been more specific - it's 10MB per message! No limit on the amount of messages.

Wanted to know how you set up the smart host? I have tried it and does not seem to be working for me. I have comcast and dns.org set up but my mail from my sbs 2003 won't send out?
Could you give me a preview on what you did?

Thanks

Pull up the Server Management from SBS 2003 (log in as administrator and it should come up automatically).

Expand Advanced Management,
Expand your Exchange Server,
Then expand servers,
Then expand connectors,
Right-click on the SmallBusiness SMTP connector and left-click on properties,
On the General Tab, click the radio button to Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts and enter smtp.comcast.net in the smart host field name.
Make sure that your SBS 2003 server also appears as the local bridgehead server in the Local bridgeheads section. If not there add it.

Now expand Protocols under servers,
Expand SMTP,
Right-click on the Default SMTP Virtual Server and left-click on properties,
Choose the Delivery Tab,
and check that the IP address of the smart host is displayed under the field: Smart host.
Also while you are here make sure you have some external DNS servers configured. Click on the Configure button to add external DNS servers. Use the IP address of Comcast's DNS servers and say a few others as backups such as Verizon's which is 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2,
Also check that your FQDN (fully qualified domain name is filled in and that you can validate against the check DNS button).
Also check that you are allowing anonymous access via the Outbound Security button on the Delivery tab.

The Dyndns setup simply allows inbound mail to find your smtp server, so if that is setup correctly with your router, you should be receiving inbound smtp.

Hope this helps!
[pipe]

Thanks ryoun1b.....performed the changes and seems to work now. I did not use the IP but the smtp.comcast.net instead and it is working. Thanks for your help

One other question related to this.

I also am forwarding all of my email to another server outside of my network. It seems that that is causing email to be queued up in my smtp connector and then eventually the original sender is receiving an NDR that states:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

It sits in the smtp queue like it cannot be sent for some reason and it attempts to retry from the queue but still sits in the queue.

Any Ideas on what I can change on my smtp smart host or smtp connector to ensure that my forwarding is also working?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back