Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to a 2610 router with a cablemodem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupidco

MIS
Dec 26, 2004
US
Is there any way I can use my 2610 router as a gateway router. Can the internal T1 WIC be used as a wan interface for a cablemodem.
I heard that there may be a way to trick the T1 connection to accept the cablemodem connection.

Well if memory serves the 2610 is one port ethernet and one port token ring. You need dual ethernet port in order to use the router in your network. This can be done pretty cheap by the addition of a one port ethernet network module. See link below:

Actually I have one ethernet and one T1 CSU/DSU wic card. Will that card be able to work or do I still have to swap it out for a ethernet card instead.
I will still aquire a the one port ethernet network module from ebay as you suggested.

you will not be able to use the T1 wic as your wan interface. you will need the additional ethernet port that will connect you to your cable modem

Thanks, I will start my search for an ethernet port module.

The only module that will work with he 2600 is the NM-1E. Do no get the fast ethernet moduules as it will not work on the 2600 platform.

I found it, thanks so much. Oh! you did give me a link from your first rely. thanks again. I will let you know how it works out.
One more thing, would I be able to config the inside and outside nat on the 2600 to handle port forwarding in the same way as a pix 501. I currently have a pix 501 as my gateway router or I should say firewall at the moment.

You need two ethernet interfaces (like a 2611).

Here is Cisco's page on routers behind cablemodems:

One caveat: Make sure you have an IOS that has the
following interface-based command:

ip address dhcp

and also an IOS that will handle DHCP option 60.

I think (not positive) these both are handled by
12.2(13)T and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back