Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible, Cisco 1720 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotgunsmitty

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2008
US
I have a Cisco 1720 with two Wic1Enet cards. This gives me a total of three ethernet interfaces.

I have a situation where my phone system (layer 2) and data network(layer 3) is on the same switch. I would like to separate traffic coming in from one interface and direct network data to slot 1 and phone traffic to slot 0.

I have a test bench set up for this and would certainly welcome any help. I've been told that it's possible, that it's not possible, that I need an extended operating system, that I need new routers, etc...I still haven't seen it work yet. Help!

Here's a general idea of how it's currently set up. The two switches are managed switches and has a VLAN on it currently for testing the phone system.

Router config as follows:
1720-split# sh running
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1320 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 09:34:14 UTC Wed Jan 30 2008
!
version 12.2
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname 1720-split
!
logging queue-limit 100
enable secret 5 xxxxx
enable password xxxxx
!
memory-size iomem 25
ip subnet-zero
!
!
ip dhcp smart-relay
!
ip dhcp-server 10.0.0.1
ip dhcp-server 10.0.0.201
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
ip address 10.0.3.100 255.255.255.0
ip dhcp relay information trusted
half-duplex
no cdp enable
!
interface Ethernet1
ip address 10.0.0.100 255.255.255.0
half-duplex
no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet0
ip address 10.0.2.100 255.255.255.0
speed auto
half-duplex
no cdp enable
!
ip default-gateway 10.0.0.201
ip classless
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.201
ip route 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 Ethernet1
ip route 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 Ethernet0
ip route 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.201
ip route 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1
ip route 10.0.3.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0
ip http server
!
!
snmp-server community public RO
snmp-server enable traps tty
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
password connect
login
!
end

1720-split#

You main goal is to seperate voice and data trafic the ONLY way you can do this (in your case) end to end is with vlan, you can setup your bridges with multiple vlans (this is done with multiple ssids) there is NO point in separating traffic after it has passed wirelessly over the bridge.

CCNA MCSE MCP NET+ A+ Security+

The bridges are functioning simply as a length of CAT 5. All traffic comes in from my remote site via that CAT 5. I could set up vlans in my wireless bridges, but where it terminates in my main switches, there will be only one RJ-45 connector, exactly the same scenario that I have now. I'm looking to have the router take in layer 2 and layer 3 traffic and output layer 2 traffic to one interface, and layer 3 traffic to the other interface.

I don't think that the wireless bridges are the answer. They are repeaters, and only repeaters, but they repeat layer 2 and layer 3 traffic into my LAN, so right now, it works. It's not the most optimum situation, obviously, but that's what I'm going for...eventually total segregation of voice (layer 2) traffic and data (layer 3) traffic. I know that my remote site will still have mixed traffic, that's fine, there are only four phones and four pcs in that remote site. Those eight devices are connected via a hub(okay, actually an unmanaged switch) and are connected to my main site from that hub.

Let take a another look at the facts:

half-duplex (setup on FE0 and FE1)

The bridges are functioning simply as a length of CAT 5

eventually total segregation of voice (layer 2) traffic and data (layer 3) traffic

output layer 2 traffic to one interface, and layer 3 traffic to the other interface.

This whole topic is like a retard field trip.

You asked for help here and are not willing to listen OR learn

Good luck

CCNA MCSE MCP NET+ A+ Security+

I think there is some confusion, as a router is a layer 3 device and traffic on a switch is layer 2. It seems you keep referring to the data as layer 3 and the voice as layer 2.

This is what you to do.

1. Create a voice and data vlan on your local network.

2. Create the same voice and data vlans on your remote network.

3. Configure the ports the bridges connect to on their respective ends to a trunk port.

4. Configure your router as a router on a stick between said vlans.

Very good. Real class act there, suptec. If I had no intention of listening or learning I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. It might just occur to someone else that I am attempting the suggestions given and then presenting the obstacles and challenges that I am presented with after so doing. Sorry you're not enjoying the field trip. Maybe we can call someone to come get you.

Here are my replies:

There is no FE1 on a Cisco 1720. Only and FE0, and with 2 Wic1E cards, there is an E0 and an E1. Half-duplex on E0 and E1. Full Duplex on FE0

The bridges are ethernet extenders. Nothing more. They allow my 8 devices to connect to my LAN and call processor so that they will have email, Internet, phone, etc. The remote site is a mile away, and at the end of that is one RJ-45 connector with 8 devices on it...please note that I said "one" RJ-45, not two...I also did not say "one with data and another one with phone". I will not set up a VLAN on my bridges...they will still terminate in ONE RJ-45 connection, no matter how many VLANS are present.

I know this is difficult to understand, and believe it or not, I am doing my best to keep it simple. A simple "I don't know" goes a long way. That's what I did when I began this thread, encouraging the input from other professionals.

Brian, yes, I do keep referring to phone as Layer 2 and data as Layer 3. My phones are VOIP capable phones. Only capable, not true VOIP. Their traffic gets around the network via a non-routed NBX protocol, making it's way around the LAN via hubs, switches, aerial bridges, ethernet extenders, but keeping it MAC based, and non-routable.

There is no managed switch on the remote site, so no VLAN capability there.

Hopefully this sheds a little more light on what I'm attempting to do.

No responses for over a week, now, so I'll bump this one last time with emphasis on my original question.

Is it possible to separate Layer 2 (Ethernet II, 0x8868 NBX Packets, according to wireshark) traffic and IP traffic from one interface and send them to two different interfaces on the Cisco 1720 (with 2 Wic 1E cards).

I really just want to know if the unit is capable of doing this without the extended IOS. If it is, then great, I'll seek additional programming help. If it is not, then fine. So be it and I'll pursue another piece of hardware.

Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back