Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it OK to use a Slave to 2nd class C as primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headmaster

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
I'm diving into BIND slowly and have a question about my proposed implementation.

We have to networks connected by VPN. I'd like to set up a zone for each network and be able to look for hosts from either network, send mail etc.

I know I don't want to user forwarders, because each network has their own ISP and it sound to me like a potential traffic jam... am I right? We only have a 256k link at our slow office.

So, I thought I would just set up a slave on each network that would sync to the master from the other network. If I set that as my primary DNS in Windows, will it work like I'm hoping?

I've read about stubs, but am not sure they are what I need.

Thanks for any advice!
Scott

I got this figured out. I just made one server a slave to the other, and WHAMOH... it worked. (I wish it were that easy)

Now a question, if I do nslookup for a host on the other network, server A finds the host. I can't look up a host on the other network from server B unless I follow the host name by the domain name. Then it works fine.

ie
nslookup host {fails}
nslookup host.domain {works}

Not a huge problem, but having trouble figuring out why!

Thanks to any that respond!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back