Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it my harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefaan100

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
US
I have a Maxtor 80GB HD. Worked great. I decided to reinstall, so I started work on my computer this morning. For the second time now while going through the installation routine when I reboot it says that the is a problem with my harddrive. I ran Maxblast, the Maxtor HD diagnostic and it says that the HD is fine. So is this a software problem? I am installing Windows 2000. Could it be that the Windows updates screw it up? But why didn't they earlier?

This all is really weird, especially since my office computer also had a HD problem last week and I had to send it back for an RMA. Why would both HD's on both computers, computers that have nothing to do with each other, break down within one week.

Tx

Get to a DOS prompt in the Recovery Console, and enter chkdsk c: /f /r

If no luck, then go back to the DOS prompt, and enter fixmbr.

when I reboot it says that the is a problem with my harddrive"

Given such a very general statement, it makes it hard for anyone to give any useful advice. If you would provide the wording of the error message, someone may be able to help diagnose the problem.

What are you getting for an error? S.M.A.R.T., Sector,Windows protection???????

I fixed it. Also apologize for not being more detailed. Tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back