Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it Microsoft? Is it VMware? Or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeveck

Programmer
Jun 6, 2005
US
It seems like after every little change to the system I am forced to go chasing down a new horde of EventViewer warnings and errors. Sometimes they just appear if I let the system sit there idle long enough.

What gives? I am setting up immaculate systems, following the directions mostly to the letter, typically chosing the default options, and pretty much just installing Microsoft products on top of other Microsoft products...and yet...warnings and errors abound.

Is this the result of running the machines in VMware? Does Windows somehow behave badly within a virtual environment?

Or does Microsoft really suck this badly? I am at a loss for words for the amount of frustration, backtracking, and research necessary to get even simple things to work correctly. I mean...just running DCPROMO to create a new tree in a new forest, installing DNS, installing Exchange, installing IIS, .NET Framework 1.1, MSI 3.0, Terminal Services...all standard part of Windows...and after each I was presented with new warnings and errors to track down.

And...there is NO reliable documentation. Event I am greatful for...tends to have numerous alternative explanations and orthogonal solutions for the SAME EXACT ERROR. And yet...that seems to be an order of magnitude beyond the often USELESS information that Microsoft publishes.

Has it always been this bad? This is my first major foray into Server setup, though I've been using Windows for years and am typically quite comfortable performing advanced actions like security configurations ranging through the registry, mmc, and the like.

But since I've been getting more to the IT side of things...probably setting up twenty or so servers over the last two months...it just seems like everything is inherently fragile. I have become convinced that a huge part of the IT sphere is driven by the fact that MS products are so buggy and frail that companies need people who are versed in bugs and workarounds necessary to make things work in a rather house-of-cards kinda way.

Thoughts on all this?

bear in mind, microsoft doesn't support virtulization issue, unless you arroved them its msft issue.

---------------------------------------
Sr. Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

Need more info if you want a real answer. What errors are you getting?

What happens if you run a dcdiag and netdiag?

How do you have your DNS set up? Are the server nics ONLY configured with internal DNS servers or do you have ISP DNS on them? There should only be local DNS on the server NICs. Configure ISP DNS on the DNS Forwarders tab in the DNS snap-in.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Excellent point, markdmac!
And worth repeating.

The ONLY PLACE on your network that your ISPs public DNS ipaddress should appear is the DNS Forwarder on your server.
Not configured on any nic.
Not handed out with DHCP.

Improperly configured DNS is one of the most common mistakes I see.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Well, I presume you just didn't include that it is also perfectly fine to have your public ISP's DNS address as a Root Hint instead of a Forwarder. It serves the same purpose in practice and avoids some of the complications of Forwarders.

Have you considered using Microsoft's Virtual Server (or Virtual PC) product(s)?

From my (admittedly limited) experience with VirtualPC, it is crap compared to VMware. That is aside from the ideological annoyance that Microsoft ripped Linux support out of VirtualPC immediately after purchasing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back