Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is it cable or just bad luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichol

Technical User
Nov 9, 2000
MX
I have a Dual Speed Hub (CNet CNFH-616S(B)) actualy I have connected 8 PC´s, 1 is a PIII 550mhz Novel small bussines Server, 4 PC´s conect to this server for administration software (using novell client) 1 PC is used as a internet share machine, other 2 PC´s are for general work, these last 2 machines are celeron procesors, about 3 moths, I did change the network cards from ISA 10Mbps to pci 100/10Mbps Fast Ethernet, The cable is UTP CAT5 (VIAKON), frecuently the pc´s sufer disconections, or if I try to copy a file biger than 400 Kb windows says that the copy can´t be done, because the network object don´t exist any more, recently I try to add to the network a Compaq Armada, the distance betewen hub and pc is about 70 meters , the link led and the 100Mbps led just blink in segments of 3 seconds, and I never get to see the rest of pc´s , I change the cable and put it straigt to the pc, and reduce the distance in 35 meters the hub shows a good link so the link led in the pc but still can´t see the rest of the network.

Any sugestions...... :-(

Thanks in advice.

Definitely sounds like cabling problems. Are you making your own cables or buying them? I would definitely recommend sticking with pre-made cat5 certified cables. Also, are you running straight from the hub to your clients or going through structured cabling? If you're running through a structured system, are your wall jacks, in-wall wiring and patch panels att cat5 certified?

On the client side you could also look at setting the drivers to half-duplex. This would slow your connection but might make it more stable.
Jeff
masterracker@hotmail.com

If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......

I´m makeing my ouwn cables, what I just notice is that, since tha first cable I made were wrong.

Example:
Org------Org
W/O------W/O
Grn------Grn
W/G------W/G
Blu------Blu
W/B------W/B
Brn------Brn
W/Br-----W/Br

but now my question is why is it working with that configuration.

Is the distacen betwen the hub and the pc´s the factor?

Thanks.....

Your pairing is not correct and definitely will not support 100Mb speeds over any kind of distance. !00Mb is finicky and very dependent on good cables. You must lay out the paris correctly, not untwist over 1/2" of wire, get crimps and even pay attentino to how shaprly the wire is bent all along the run.

Buy premade cables. If you absolutley have to build your own, look at some of the posts in the Cabling forum for information on the correct way to build them.
Jeff
masterracker@hotmail.com

If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......

It is important to keep the pairs of the cables

1--wo-wo
2--o-o
3--wg-wg
4--blue-blue
5--wblue-wblue
6--g-g
7--wbrown-wbrown
8--brown-brown

for strate up (pc to hub)

Status
Not open for further replies.