Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it a waste of time to learn C++ now when C# emerges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesyd

Programmer
Nov 30, 2002
AU
Hi,
Is it? look, it takes a long long time to master C++ and too much to learn in VC++. Now Microsoft has come up with C# to improve and speed up programming process as they say. So for some fresh enterer in C++ programming do you think it is a waste of time to start programming/practising in C++ ??!

No - C++ has a lot more to offer than C# or Java. If MS went bust tomorrow, C# would be dead. At least with C++, you are not tied to MS and .net. You can work on lots of different platforms.

Also, C# doesn't have a lot of concepts supported by C# like macros and templates. It also has some pretty weird stuff like structs are created on the stack and classes are created on the heap. Both C# and Java restrict the way you program. For instance, you can't have a lookup table with functions in it. There are lots of slick techniques in C++ cannot be coded in either C# or Java.

Your best bet is to learn it in parallel and Java at the same time. There are lots of similarities and lots of differences and you'll probably get a job in one or more of the three.

Hi xwb,

It's pretty hard for MS goes bust tomorrow, I think eventually C# and .NET will have stronger market supports for them as MS quite dominates the IT industry, softwares development driven by MS. Maybe one day when MS refines C# and .NET tobe perfect with more functionalities and overcomes those shortcomings then VC++ will be dead, VB will be dead too!oh what a waste to learn VC++ & VB, says 3 years down the track. Yes, I find develop softwares in VC++ very slow (lots of functions to learn and somehow I can't have help of autocomplete functions when typing, need to remember them in full, anyway to turn something on so it can help me a bit when typing?)this could be a big disadvantage compared to C# in the future.

I've learned both Java and C++ at Uni but till now I still don't have a job, when applying for a job they require us to be strong in one area (2yrs+ exp). I hate it, my experience in programming roughtly 1.5yrs but quite diverse.
I really don't know what to do - VB or C++ or Java or Web development or Database (can do them all but master of none!!!)?? any suggestion for me?

I would go for C++. It's not my favourite language but C++ underpins most things and is probably the toughest main-stream high-level language you can learn. So once you've grasped it well, other languages will be easier to learn if you should need them.

I'm currently studying at university and like yourself I have programmed in a variety of languages but I found that the extra emphasis on C++ in my 1st and 2nd years has given me a good grounding for learning other languages. Currently I am on a placement year and have had to learn Delphi - which has been easy to pick up because of my previous experience. I also found Java relatively easy to pick up thanks to my C++ knowledge.

Hope this helps you decide! Clive [infinity]

Hi Stretchwickster,

Yes, C++ is a very good and interesting language to learn (I passed the course), but when coming to program for project at work it could make your life really really miserable at times - am scared. Don't know what to decide yet!!!

C# is more comparable to Java than C++. They're syntactically similar, but they're really different styles of languages. It's like asking whether you should forgo learning Math and learn Chemistry instead. Both are powerful languages. It all depends on what you want to use them for.

I'm not super familiar with the differances between all languages, but I can contribute that Java just overtook C++ as the language of choice for developers (according to something I read somewhere).

Don't forget about C++ .NET!

Hi everyone,

Thank you thank you for your input. Yes too many languages to learn - that requires alot of time, we can't do that properly. Even if we try to learn them all but when go for a job they really ask us how many years of experience you have on this and that. You guys like to suggest C++, Java and now C#. It really still confuse me what direction should I take as we can't master all the languages. My trouble is that I know most of them and master at none so I am not successfuly winning a job.What pros and Cons should I concentrate on one particular language, should I take C++ is a number one language? So if you guys still drop by please give your oppions on your language of choice- don't forget to mention why you like it and recommendation!!! Thank you.

Mikesyd,

I recommend you take a time machine back about 4 years ago to a time when there were entry-level programming jobs aplenty. It seems like everyone is looking for someone with 5 years experiance!

Man, if I just graduated when I started school, I'd be livin it up on severance pay right now!

BoulderBum,

"Man, if I just graduated when I started school, I'd be livin it up on severance pay right now" elaborate a bit here for me. I don't quite understand :):)

4 years ago, when I first started college, the market for programmers was hot! Unfortunately, it has taken a dive since then, and many coders have been laid off. I thought this was a bummer until I learned that they get, like, 4 months of pay when they leave. It's like a 4 month paid vacation! Now my career goal is to work for a company that will lay me off.

BoulderBum , hehehe what a career goal!, 4 months of pay is good provided that you can land a new job really soon afterward which means need to have good experience and in demand. How about 2 weeks of severance pay,I thought nowadays private company can lay you off in short notice and dont pay you much for a vacation:)

That would suck... I don't worry about finding new jobs too soon, because I've just been travelling around camping and picking up temp jobs ever since I graduated.

Just wonderin, do you really think it's worth devoting a lot of time to C at this point? It seems to be dying language. One of my texts says you should learn it just because you may need to maintain legacy code.

I really don't know, that was the reason I posted this topic up,I still confuse what we should devolt our time at? If C is a dying language then so is C++ ! except that C would be dying faster,but C++ is still popular in software development. I think C is only good for software engineering in Unix and Linux platforms ,then again C++ can do all that, so you can say C is dying but C and C++ are like twin.

"I really don't know, that was the reason I posted this topic"

Opps, I think I got this thread confused with another discussion.

It seems to me that it's sort of a waste of time to learn C. C++ can do everything C can do (procedural and OO), and the structure of the languages is identical at a basic level. Why not just learn C++ at the basic level, and expand? C is relatively weak, and the paradigms and procedures associated with it are being replaced by new standards.

You can just learn C++ and forget all about C, but there are much much C programs out there need to be maintained so you need to know proper C syntax to program.

Yeah but if you know C++, C is very easy to pick up....C can be very annoying because C++ is oh soooo much nicer. The hardest part of C is pointers, and you have those in C++, you just don't have to rely on them as much. C++ is much more useful than C and there is a big distinction between the two....C++ is Object Oriented, allows operator overloading, and has vastly improved stream manipulation.
Sera
I often believe that...
My computer is possessed!

First lets get things clear. C++ IS A TRUE EXTENSION OF C. C# is Microsoft trying to hijack the following of C and C++ with a pascal-basic syntaxed language with built in proprietariness (is that a word). Don't be fooled. They are just jealous of the support of Java. It's not like Java either, but MS will try to sell you those goods.

Jobwise, depending on the company, you may need to know it. Based on the low acceptance figures I hear, you have plenty of time to become a guru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back