Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it a PC or MAC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoshiachNow

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
IL
Once logging in over a modem to my customer sites - I need to tell if the station Is a PC or a MAC (OSX).

Is there any way/program to do it ?

Long live king Moshiach !

How 'bout uname?

From my mac:
% uname -m
Power Macintosh

% uname -p
powerpc

I don't have a Windows box to test on, but I believe uname is available

gg

uname -p does not work in windows, a better way to identify would be to look at the prompt or to type "ver" ..

Hi

I think Apple Systems has another MacAdress Label for the Company Interfaces.....
If you now that there are some Services running on all Macs perhaps you can check it the Service is running.

There are some tools which checks the Systemtype. There you can check the routine.

hello,

the nmap opensource software is supposed to be able to make OS detection through TCP/IP fingerprinting, altough it seems a bit to weird to me :))

you might look at
and

another way to proceed would be to compare opened ports on the target system, port 139 is often accessible on windows pc, not sure for mac os.

oups, nmap is tough to compile from AIX altough this is possible.

regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back