Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IS-IS addressing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microbyte

Technical User
Feb 20, 2003
US
i'm bit confused about IS-IS interface addressing scheme.

does the IS-IS configured router's interface gets IP address and as well as NSAP to work properly?
can someone give me insight of this matter?

also, do one needs to enable CLNP/CONP protocol when enabling IS-IS protocol? if not, when is a good situation to enable it?

thanks in advance!
:)

hi
in which area/sub./chapter we can emphasis to get good score in ccna exam?plz. share your comments.
with regards

To answer your question, the NSAP address is not configured on the interface, but rather the protocol process [Router(config-router)#]. IP addresses can be configured on the interfaces when you are running Integrated ISIS (CLNS and IP). You must enable CLNS routing [Router(config)#clns routing] when running ISIS because ISIS uses CLNS as a transport as opposed to IP like OSPF does.

okay, thanks but one more question still lingers.
does one needs to setup NSAP to run ISIS?
and one more addition question here...what is integrated ISIS opposed to just ISIS routing?

thanks in advance.

You need to setup an NSAP address in order to run ISIS period. ISIS is the underlying transport mechanism for ip routing. In ISIS, routing is handled vis NSAP addresses, ip routing takes place above this routing. similar to how a frame relay setup would route via dlci s and have no knowledge of the ip suite ISIS routes via NSAP addresses and has no knowledge of IP routes. It does however carry IP information in its packets.

Hope that helps.

As far as the difference between ISIS and integrated ISIS i believe integrated ISIS can support IP and ISIS cannot. not sure but i think i remember that correctly from the BSCI. Good luck

thanks lui3,

that took off some weights...i feel bit lighter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back