Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Iris a sniffer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkatilla

Programmer
Oct 12, 2002
US
Hello all.

The other day another I found out that another office tenant near my office had acquired the "Iris Network Traffic Analyzer" software. He showed me all the sites (from his computer) which I had surfed (on my computer) including my email (we are on the same network). Is this Iris software what they refer to as a "sniffer"?

Can I somehow detect and prevent this individual and his software from eavesdropping on my surfed sites? (short of bodily harm).

-Doug

P.S. Earlier he had access to my machine and I believe he obtained my IP address and/or somehow gave his software permission to "look in".

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Iris is a type of sniffer that reassembles the data packets into whatever was displayed. There are ways to get the IP without access to your desktop.

There is a utility that claims to detect promiscious mode sniffers on the network..

Antisniff by L0pht Heavy Industries.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Instead of trying to find those looking at your data why don't you take steps to obfuscate your packets, i.e. encryption. SSL, IPSec, PGP, Blowfish... were developed to make such eavesdropping very difficult.

If this individual is another tenant (company) at an office park there should be controls to prevent intermingling of traffic (VLANs, ACLs). Unless the service is being presented as 'the Internet'...

Antisniff is no longer being supported by @stake and I don't think its even available. A description of detecting promiscuous NICs is at:

-Jeff

----------------------------------------
Wasabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

I heard about this same software from a friend... who said he was watchin everyone on his network!! He gave me a copy and thats when i relized that that person can get your e-mails, icq messages, even your e-mail passwords (unless you use a brower based e-mail.. so be carefull.. dont check your bank statements on line!! bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back