Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Indesign the best for me (or Publisher)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUFoto

Technical User
Aug 20, 2012
CA
Hi,
I am working for a company and have to design a few procut data sheets, broshures and finally a whole product catalouge.
I really would like to take Indesign because it is very famous and "the standard" for these topics.
But it is really expensive. I have some experience with the program. But I have some questions to you. Thank you a lot for answering my questions:

1.) other members of my company would like to use Microsoft Publisher (they all usw Microsoft so that's no disadvantage)
Are there any advantages that M Publisher is not able to do?
I don't need any 3D or very special stuff. Just for my topics above.

2.) I want to create single sheets. These sheets should be able to combine in a whole document.
Is this possible with these "books"?
Is it possible to easy create a table of content? automatically? an index that is changing if number of pages or size of documents change?
Is it possible to link inside the pdf document that users can jump from table of content to a specific chapter by clicking?

3.) How should the structure have been done?
Do I need 2 versions for each file? One for printing and one for pdf viewing on computers?? Or is it possible just to create one?
Also with different languages. Is it recommend to use the laysers for this thing?
Or not (because of the idea of creating an easy catalouge.) I need 2 versions. So does it make sense to combine it in one single file?
The catalouge has to be switched otherwise in every single paper. isn't it?

Are there any other tips and comments?
Maybe I use a differnt approach or designing idea?
thanks a lot for helping me!

1) The only drawback to Publisher is that it is not marketed to print professionals ...so few print professionals use it. That leaves a less experienced audience of users. But it is possible to produce press-ready art with it if you know what you are doing. It is not the software that makes a print professional; it is the user. You can even use Scribus for free to produce press-ready art.

2) I don't believe that is a problem with either program.

3) One design file can be used to generate a press-ready PDF or a lighter weight web version. It is just a small tweak to your PDF export settings.

Beware that the expense of software often saves money in hours of labor. I could waste more money/time on designing with the lesser featured Scribus (a free program) than I might lose just on the purchase price of a more advanced/versatile program like InDesign. The biggest expense will be your own knowledge/training. Check out a site like lynda.com to learn the basics of both programs to see which suits you better.

Here's a link to a 7-day trial...

Thanks a lot.
I hardly could find tutorials for publisher. So I don't know whether it is possible to do this books with publisher.
The thing that is important is that I want to create several small documents (1-4 sheets) and combine them in a big one.
With index, cover page and so on.

and I need one for prints but another as pdf for customers ready to download. on this second file the feature to link beween the table of content and the chapters shout be available.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back