Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is IMS required for downstream exchange servers? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuffMan

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2001
GB
We're running Exchange 5.5 on NT servers downstream from a group bridgehead server. We are unable to auto forward emails to external Email addresses, so I spoke to the administrator of the group server who tested and corrected his server (presumably installed IMS, given it wasn't installed anywhere).
The bridgehead server now does perform the auto forwarding required, but the downstream servers still don't, and I'm being told that I don't need IMS on the downstream servers. Is this correct information because everywhere I look for a solution to our problem point to IMS?

Information greatly appreciated.

Your info is correct, you shouldn't need an IMS on the downstream servers but it does sound like the IMS is not configured correctly. In order for you to be able to send to external addresses the IMS has to "advertise" that it will hand these type of addresses. Therefore the "Address Space" on the IMS has to be configured so that the Address Type is SMTP, the Address is * and that the scope is Organization. Once that has been done allow some time for the routing to replicate to the rest of the organization and see what happens. Any more questions/problems let me know.

Graham

Thanks alot for the response Gafer, I'm looking into the configuration of the bridgehead server as we speak.
Something that's come to light however which may put a slightly different spin on things is that it appears we are unable to autoforward to internal accounts as well. Is there something more fundamental that we're missing do you think?

In the IMS properties there are routing setting that you can set - for inbound and two way routing ...

Now i've never done what you are doing -- but we have done some smtp routing between two exchange servers. In order for that to happen... all smtp mail had to be deliver thru our main prodcution Exchange server.

We had a second server here that acted as a test box .. and we still wanted to be able to send mail thru it .. however...all smtp request were configured to relay thru our main exchanger. WE had an entery in the ROUTING box in the IMS of our production server that the Second server was relay only.. this made our production server advertise that it will relay for the Secondary Test box.

Now.. you may wish to look in there .. an answer could be in that..

Just shooting out an idea
Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Do you get some sort of error when you try to forward to internal addresses, in fact do you get any sort of errors at all, either in a message or in the Event Log ? Also how is this forwarding done, by an external application or rules in Outlook or whatever ?

Thanks for your help chaps. I've eventually gotten to the bottom of this and the solution was a little dissapointing.
Apparently the forwarding address needs to exist in an address book, auto forwarding won't work if you simply type an address in which hasn't been previously set up somewhere.
I'm not sure if this is specific to our set up or not, but it's working now.
Thank you for your help.

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back