Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IS Exchange 5.5 also an SMTP server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandg

Technical User
Jun 7, 2002
US
I have a device that can be configured to forward system events to email recipients however it asks for a SMTP server address. Is there any way to utilize my Exchange server for this?

Thanks.

IMS is already installed on our exchange server. When I enter the IP address of this exchange server, the messages do not get delivered from the device. However, when I entered the IP address of the Comcast SMTP server that has my personal comcast.net account, message delivery from the device (UPS system) suceeeds.

You need to reroute any incoming mail inbound, under "Routing". You also need to use DNS or Forward to another host with Transfer mode set to inbound and outbound. It should accept connection from any host. Try to trace all your mail manually doing a telnet session

>Telnet yourmailserver 25

Is there some sort of manual that steps users through this whole process. The Exchange server is configured to reroute SMTP mail. I just need to know how to enter an SMTP address on the UPS device that points to the Exchange server and I'm having some difficulty understanding your instructions. Thanks.

First to see if you can Telnet from the client to port 25 on the server. If that works, you should be able tosend mail. If that doesn't work, either you have a bad route, bad subnet mask and/or IP address, or some otherport filtering/blocking going on. You might also try using a network sniffer to capture the traffic for analysis. This is often useful in determining why connections fail.

Click here to learn:
Telnet to Port 25 to Test SMTP Communication

The O'Reilly book on Exchange 5.5 is the best manual you'll get for it - but you'll have to hunt around for this now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back