Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Delphi for Win64 ever going to make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

bledazemi

Programmer
Jul 14, 2005
GB
OK this maybe an unusual question but i am struggling to understand the future of Delphi. Do you guys know what is happening with Delphi for Win64. CodeGear has published a a roadmap on the internet Delphi road map link which speaks about.

A couple of years ago I remember reading a published roadmap which estimated Delphi Win64 would be here by end of 2007. Now it seems like it is estimated to be towards the end of 2008. Do you think Win64 will be in Delphi this time? Do you think it will again be postponed for another year.

It is a pity really because in my 64bit processors are so much more common now. I would have actually expected CodeGear to make Win64 number one priority and keep up with technology.

What do you guys think? I would appreciate your view and exchange of knowledge with regards to this.

"It is in our collective behaviour that we are most mysterious" Lewis Thomas

My hope is that 64 bit will be included in the next release.
I took the survey on codegear and a lot of questions were about 64bit development. So I would say it will depend on the feedback of the devs. Anyway your not the only one:

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Yes, I filled in the Delphi survey too recently. I must say I do not understand why CodeGear decided to prioritise .NET before Win64. Microsoft Visual Studio is cheaper then Delphi and I would imagine most people would use Visual Studio to program in .NET.

In my opinion Delphi is (or should i say was) one of the best Rapid Application Development tools for Windows. Trying to compete with Microsoft in IDE tools for .NET is not a bad thing however it was doomed to be a run for second place. First Delphi Team should have secured the key feature that made Delphi an alternative choice of programming which for me was Win32 and Win64.

One thing is to keep up with technology and quite another to be prepared for it. It seems to me CodeGear is struggling to keep up with technology let alone to be ahead of it. I hope they catch up soon with Win64.

"It is in our collective behaviour that we are most mysterious" Lewis Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back