Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Dell hardware compatible with EMC FC4700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon23

Vendor
Oct 5, 2005
US
I have 2 EMC FC4700's and acquired some Dell Power Vault 630F DAE's and DPE's.

I tried to expand my FC4700 by adding a Dell DAE and the drives came up as unsupported.

I then tried to put some EMC drives into the Dell DAE, but they would not physically slide into the disk tray.
I found a metal tab was blocking the drive from being installed. The Dell drives have a notch cut into the carrier that the EMC drives don't have.
I then cut a notch into an EMC drive and slid it in and was able to see it fine from my management station.

So is the Dell hardware incompatible at both the hardware and software levels?

The DAE should work ok when attached to the FC4700. "unsupported' leads me to believe that the drives in the DAE are of a type not included in your current version of Flare code.

Any one else have input on this?
The Flare version does not explain why the drive would be unsupported. When a bad drive is replaced we don't stock different spares for different flare versions. My conclusion is that there is an incompatibility between the EMC machines and the Dell equipment. Why else would they put a block in the DAE so that EMC drives can not be inserted. Can anyone confirm this?

Two things:
Try posting this to the EMC: Disk & Raid Solutions forum if you want a second opinion from someone else. I don't think that this forum is used much anymore.

Secondly, if you are using the same drives in the DAE and the DPE, then you are correct in saying that Flare is likely not the problem. If, however, you physically look at the particular drive you are using (Seagate or IBM), I suspect you'll find that they are different. The cover of the individual drive case comes off pretty easily. It should be easy to tell. Just note the Seagate or IBM model numbers. You don't say what size drives you're dealing with but, a 36gb 7200 rpm may be supported and a different model 36gb. If you have the release notice for your flare rev... look at that for disks supported. If you don't have the release notice, tell me what revision you're running and I'll try to dig it up.

Another way to approach this is to replace the disk in the carrier yourself with another of the same type/model. It isn't all that difficult to do.

I have one EMC2 FC4700 whit two SP, the one whit Part Number 005348429 and the other SP have Part Number 005348430, both SP have 1 GB HBA. is possible that this work in the same FC4700 properly ? Can anyone help please ? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back