Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Celeron compatible? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eponymous

ISP
Jul 22, 2004
GB
Planning to upgrade cpu on Gigabyte GA-6WMM7

and wish to double-check compatability of Celeron SL64V
1400/256/100/1.5

1) Is this the same as the CPU listed above as P3-Celeron 1.4G?
2) Notice previous Pentium had core voltage of 1.7 - is 1.5 likely to create problems?
3) Could there be any stepping issues (newbie and not really clear on what stepping means and if also potential compatability issues)?
4) Is there anything else to be aware of if switching to Celeron?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Eponymous

You'll be ok with that Celeron CPU.
There are 3 different Intel core designs and voltages for your MB's socket 370 - Tualatin(1.45-1.50 V), Coppermine(1.75 V), and Mendocino(2.00 V). The 1.4 GHz Celeron has a Tualatin core, and runs at 1.50 V.
Depending on which model your previous Pentium was, the Celeron may be a slower performer because it's internal cache may be either smaller or non-existant.

Ski,

Thank you very much that's most helpful.

Regards,
Eponymous

You're welcome. Good luck with the upgrade.

The Cache size on Celeron Tulatin Core is 256Meg. I have a 1.2gig Tulatin Core Celeron at home and it runs great. It has outlasted all my AMD XP Junky Processors.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back